• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Konost Digital Rangefinder with M mount
FYI, what do you think?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2297085...e-for-2016

http://konost.com/?page_id=3037

Deets:
  • Fully manual controls
  • Leica M mount
  • CMOSIS sensor (same supplier as Leica)
  • Digital rangefinder patch (the image from a small secondary sensor on the right of the lens mount is overlaid on the main sensor image)
  • Plans for FF, APSC and 1" versions
  • No pricing yet
I would prefer an E-mount that can use an even wider range of lenses than the M-mount.  But seems like vapourware.  Good luck if they can get it going.

Why buy this over an A7 ?

Hmmm...not a pinky near the lens when shooting,   ... with a tremendous lens range.......... Leica's...

Konost...........keeping things simple! 

What do I think? Rubbish because of the lack of physical controls, it would all be done via touchscreen?? On a range finder?? Need to practice my nose muscles then. Or not wanting to change ISO or for instance exposure compensation while looking through the view finder.

For the rest, nice industrial design.

Sensor details.

The CMV20000 image sensor features a 20 Megapixel (5,120 x 3,840) resolution with 6.4 um sized square pixels resulting in an active sensor area of 32.8 x 24.6 mm (35 mm film optical format). Peak quantum efficiency reaches up to more than 45 percent resulting in a superb responsivity of 8.29 V/lux.s in combination with an excellent dynamic range of 66 dB. By means of correlated double sampling in global shutter mode, the patented 8-transistor pixel cell architecture reduces any dark noise and FPN non-uniformity of the sensor matrix. The sensor also offers an excellent shutter efficiency, a common feature of the CMV image sensor family.

At full 20 Megapixel resolution and with a 12-bit ADC resolution the CMV20000 delivers 30 full frames per second. This is achieved by using 16 LVDS outputs running at 480 Mbit/s each. Lower frame rates can be supported by multiplexing to 8 output channels only. Partial read out, windowing and subsamples modes, can be programmed to support higher frame rates. At full resolution and frame rate, the power dissipation is 1.1W. This power consumption can be dynamically controlled when lower frame rates are used.

Quote:Why buy this over an A7 ?
Youpii, I can think of only one reason: if it is priced the same as A7 One won't need to by $8,000 Leica camera to experience Leica glass (without adapter). Instead of buying Leica body, I can buy Konost and 2 lenses. Conceptually it doesn't offer anything new.
Quote:Sensor details.

The CMV20000 image sensor features a 20 Megapixel (5,120 x 3,840) resolution with 6.4 um sized square pixels resulting in an active sensor area of 32.8 x 24.6 mm (35 mm film optical format). 
Strange. 35mm film format is 36x24mm (3:2 aspect ratio). This is a 4:3 format (old TV screen format, which traditionally is used in compact digital cameras because computer screens used to be based on that old TV screen aspect ratio, and also used by Olympus when they started the 4/3rds sensor conception because of that it was the format compact cameras used.

So they call it full frame 35mm, when it is not.  
4:3 was (and still is) also common in medium format, not only compacts. Imho, it often looks nicer for portrait oriented images.

But it's true that a 32x24mm sensor is not strictly speaking a "full frame" 35mm sensor.

I'm curious about the "digital rangefinder" instead of a mechanical one. Sadly, they don't give a lot of information about how it works...
Quote:4:3 was (and still is) also common in medium format, not only compacts. Imho, it often looks nicer for portrait oriented images.

But it's true that a 32x24mm sensor is not strictly speaking a "full frame" 35mm sensor.

I'm curious about the "digital rangefinder" instead of a mechanical one. Sadly, they don't give a lot of information about how it works...
I know of no 4:3 in medium format that is actually used other than in some oddity? 6x4.5 (oa Mamiya, Bronica), 6x6 (oa Hasselblad), 6x7 (Pentax), 6x9 (like my Agfa Record and other folders), 6x17 (Fuji panorama).

The main ones are 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x9 (which frame numbers are printed on the back of 120 film).

I guess 4:3 is not common in medium format.

Let's do the math then: 4/3 = 1.33. What is 6/4.5?  Big Grin

You're right, there were many different aspect ratios for medium format film. However, 645 was pretty dominant in the film days and is also the dominant format in medium format nowadays. The most common "crop"-sensors in medium format are 44x33mm, which is obviously also 4:3. In fact, I think the only medium format camera that doesn't use a sensor with a 4:3 aspect ratio is the Leica S. 

I guess 4:3 is more than common in medium format  Wink