Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a good compact camera
Hello All,

Most of you probably have a smart phone with a camera, so where ever you go you have a camera with you. But as I hate mobile phones(I don't want to be disturbed if I am not at home) I don't have one.

But thing is I always bring my camera, but as it's my Canon 5D with a 28-105mm and a 70-200mm 4.0, it's quite heavy and cumbersome to take along when going to the hospital or to the shops. So, I want a smaller camera which I can bring with me when I don't go on a photography trip.

I have a budget in the range of 400-500 euro. And I prefer a camera with a 28-105mm lens(or something similair) and a articulated screen, because I can't bend very well.

The problem is there are some many camera's, that I can't tell the trees from the forest. So, does any of you have a some advice. Maybe you have just bought a camera and can tell something about it.

Kind regards,

Reinier

Sony RX100 II 28-100mm (eq), tilting screen, $600 USD

Sony RX100 (I) 28-100mm (eq), fixed screen, $500 USD

Well, what about a GM1 or even a Pentax Q-S1 ?

Admittedly no articulated screen here but they have the coolness factor on their side.

Really nice stuff. The GM1 has a better IQ, of course, but the Q is even more cute.

The GM1 is more pocketable though. The Q's standard zoom lens is fairly "long".

The GM1 has one drawback though - your EOS 5D may collect dust. ;-)
Canon PowerShot G1 X:
  • Lens focal range: Check. 28-112mm FF equivalent.
  • LCD: Check. Swivel LCD on the back.
  • Price: Check. €379 at kameraexpress, for instance.
Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100:
  • LCD: Nope. Fixed screen.
Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 II:
  • Price: Just above €500 (from €515 from the cheapest dutch webstores to €569 at the better known stores, like kameraexpress, forokonijnenberg, cameraland and such.
Thanks guys, I will check these camera's out.

By the way I am not bound by Canon. I don't care about what brand the camera is as long as it is a good one and it's not to small for my type of hands.

Kind regards,

Reinier