Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prices and Specifications Sigma 150-600 contempary
Hi guys,

Just gleaned this latest info!

Sigma Corporation Announces Pricing and Availability of 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens

......................................................................................................................................................................

Hyper-telephoto zoom from the Global Vision Contemporary line offers enhanced functionality for better portability and usability

YOKOHAMA, Japan — February 11, 2015 – Sigma Corporation of America, a leading researcher, developer, manufacturer and service provider of some of the world's most impressive lines of lenses, cameras and flashes, has announced pricing and availability of its 150-600mm F/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary lens. The lens will become available in Canon and Nikon mounts in March for the street price of $1089.

The 150-600mm F/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary lens is the first hyper-telephoto zoom lens from the Global Vision Contemporary line, and features a light-weight and compact construction for higher usability. In order to allow for mobile, handheld shooting in the field, it has a new and improved Optical Stabilizer, and features a new water and oil-repellent coating on the front and rear lenses. Its dimensions will be 4.1 inches by 10.2 inches and will feature 20 elements in 14 groups – including one FLD ("F" Low Dispersion) and three SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass elements – with a minimum aperture of F22 and minimum focusing distance of 110.2 inches. Its maximum magnification ratio is 1:5.

"This hyper-telephoto zoom lens offers photographers superior image quality and high performance that is both customizable and portable for use in various photography situations," said Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America.

The 150-600mm F/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary lens will feature:

An updated Optical Stabilizer (OS) with an accelerometer for improved vertical and horizontal panning, essential for bird, wildlife and motor sports photography

Enhanced functionality for better portability and usability

Dust and splash proof mount

Excellent optical glass elements to minimize chromatic aberration and achieve best-in-class image quality

Two new switches added for ease-of-use, including a new zoom lock switch capable of locking at any focal distance and a Manual Override (MO) switch for improved control of focusing performance

An enhanced auto focus (AF) algorithm and Hyper Sonic Motor ensure quiet and fast AF

MO included to make two full-time modes switchable

A detachable tripod socket made of magnesium which is light and strong so the lens can be carried by itself

The lens will be available in Sigma, Canon, Nikon and Sony mounts. It is also compatible with Sigma’s lineup of Global Vision teleconverters as well as the company’s USB dock which allows for advanced customization of AF speed, OS viewing modes, focus limiter and firmware updates.

.........................................................................................................................................................................

The race is on between at this price point between the Tamron and this latest Sigma.

In favour of the Sigma I like it's multi-position zoom lock and the USB docking feature ...........not forgetting it's a tad cheaper than the Tamron....     Exciting times in the lens world!

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/150-60...g-os-hsm-c
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/150-60...g-os-hsm-s

Quickly comparing the specs from Sigma themselves vs. their Sports version:
Weight at 1930 vs 2860g is a nice reduction for those that need to remain mobile.
Max. magnification is same at 1:5 but the C is a couple cm further out.
MTF looks pretty close although the S is perhaps "better" at the long end.

I'm not planning on more lenses, but if the street price is low enough I think this could be fun to play with.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I'd love to see a head to head review of all three of the current 150-600 lenses. The sport should be the better lens and I think it is but is it worth the extra cost and weight?

Well, the Tam 150-600mm and Sports review will be here within the next 6 weeks.

The sports is MASSIVE - you are really getting something for your bucks here.

Quote:Well, the Tam 150-600mm and Sports review will be here within the next 6 weeks.

The sports is MASSIVE - you are really getting something for your bucks here.
Looking forward to that Klaus!   
Wow, and now the Contemporary is here as well. When I'm done repaying the money for the 24/1.4 I might become interested in one of these. It would be terrific to see all 3 reviewed... someday. Smile

One thing you get for free from Sigma: priceless training lessons in patience. I could add this to the value of the lens. Still thinking.

Quote:One thing you get for free from Sigma: priceless training lessons in patience. I could add this to the value of the lens. Still thinking.

Well the Tamron 150-600 buyers said the same thing. Now it's easy to pick one up but for ~6 months it was hit or miss finding one. The delay between the different mount versions start-up seemed like forever.
Quote:One thing you get for free from Sigma: priceless training lessons in patience. I could add this to the value of the lens. Still thinking.
Fortunately it ties in nicely with the northern hemi-sphere's winter!
yeah, what good is a super tele in super fog? I was preordering in autumn, if they just wait until summer I missed every season. Luffly