Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon EOS 5Ds (R) details
Thanks again Scythels. I did just see a preview on TDP and they say "Using the optical cancellation technique (vs. complete filter removal) greatly reduces development and implementation costs." Is that the case? Couldn't they just replace it with some "ordinary" optical glass to keep the same filter characteristic other than low pass effect? It just doesn't feel intuitive it would be easier to half-do something you don't want then undo it, unless there are other aspects I'm not considering which makes it more beneficial to take that route.

The list price is kinda not surprising but means I'm not likely to bite for either model any time soon. Making assumptions on currency conversions, it's going to be some 50% more than a D810. No, I can't justify it on a per-pixel basis Smile
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:Thanks again Scythels. I did just see a preview on TDP and they say "Using the optical cancellation technique (vs. complete filter removal) greatly reduces development and implementation costs." Is that the case? Couldn't they just replace it with some "ordinary" optical glass to keep the same filter characteristic other than low pass effect? It just doesn't feel intuitive it would be easier to half-do something you don't want then undo it, unless there are other aspects I'm not considering which makes it more beneficial to take that route.

The list price is kinda not surprising but means I'm not likely to bite for either model any time soon. Making assumptions on currency conversions, it's going to be some 50% more than a D810. No, I can't justify it on a per-pixel basis Smile
Nikon did the same with the D800E.

It is cheaper because the "optical path" remains the same, production wise. Both cameras can be made in the same production line.
Quote:The list price is kinda not surprising but means I'm not likely to bite for either model any time soon. 

Sad, but true  Wink

Interestingly it's just 18% more than a D810 here in Germany, which corresponds perfectly to the linear increase in resolution -> (50,6/36)^0.5=1.186. So you actually get what you pay for  Big Grin
I was making assumptions based on US pricing earlier, but at one major UK retailer £2350 gets you a D810, and the 5Ds is £3000, £3200 for the R. So not quite the 50% I mentioned earlier but still more than a bit. I doubt I'll bite until it gets closer to 2k, which might be years away. Even the mk3 isn't that low.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote: 

Is that the case? Couldn't they just replace it with some "ordinary" optical glass to keep the same filter characteristic other than low pass effect?
In a normal OLPF the first bifringent material increases the optical path length (OPL) some - maybe .5mm or something.  Unfortunately bifringent materials had 'bad' polarization properties (i.e they happen to alter polarization instead of "purely" doing one thing... linked motions are no fun).  A wave plate then corrects the polarization state twice as much as necessary.  Finally a second bifringent material does the horizontal (vs vertical) separation and voila, OLPF.

In a cancellation one the back bifringent plate is just 180deg rotated so it cancels the first, as they are equivalent parts.  This maintains the longer-than-previous OPL but probably not perfectly.  So long as it is an integer number of waves away from the old one (+/- some margin, maybe up to 25-30%) results will be fine.

Canon is delivering some great glass lately. Great the helped their customers with a high MP body.

I'm not quite sure I'll jump on a 50+ MP D820 or whatever. It's a less big step than overdoubling pixelcount like Canon now did. But if Sony delivered a Sensor with massive higher dynamic range, I'll rethink.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/educ...s_5ds_r.do

http://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/video-inte...ds-and.htm

Hi Klaus,

Would these camera's replace the EOS 5D III or are they just as a extra (high pixelcount) model to the Canon range?

Is there any news as when these camera will be expected?

Of course the spec sound promising, but I wonder how many people would buy the new 5D-R or S? I would surely want to own one, but as for a lot of us, they are just too expensive for now.

Kind regards,

Reinier

My understanding is that the "high MP" models are a new branch to the 5D line. There will likely be a 5D mk4 at some point. I'm not up to date on rumours but with the 5Ds at the high MP slot, the mk4 can remain more moderate and potentially have higher frame rates.