Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax up the game with a newly announced DSLR.
We've been through this discussion in the past and I explained in detail why side hinge is the worst design. Search the forum.

Quote:We've been through this discussion in the past and I explained in detail why side hinge is the worst design. Search the forum.
The forum is more or less unseachable in any meaningful way. Even Nikon recognized that the bottom hinged screen they have with the first 5x00 was a bad idea, and brought us the side hinged variant.
Quote:The forum is more or less unseachable in any meaningful way.

Just use Google and add "site:forum.photozone.de" (without the quotes). There you go:

http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/top...ng/?p=2768

Quote:Even Nikon recognized that the bottom hinged screen they have with the first 5x00 was a bad idea, and brought us the side hinged variant.

Nikon chose what sells to clueless selfiers. All high end cameras that feature articulated screen keep it centered when tilted, right below the viewfinder. These include the Pentax 645Z, Nikon D750, Sony A99, and also the new $1500 Samsung NX1. None of them use a side-hinge.

Quote:Err!!   Here's mine!  Looks like we both have one,    I/we know that it's a good camera, but nobody will ever know if it was good business!  I must admit you got some very fine lenses on your K01! The Zeiss and the two Voigtlanders look absolutely fabulous! 

The Revuenon 28mm F2.8 is also decent especially for the 20 euros I paid for it!

Looking at your pristine example I guess I better give mine a clean! Big Grin

It's remarkable how well the Black K-01 looks with any of the Pentax A, Pentax DA-Ltd, Zeiss ZK and Voigtländer SL and SLII lenses.  Somehow either the colour acccents, or knurled aluminum or ribbed rubber ties the body and lens together.

The Pentax A28mm is a great bang for the buck, sharp wide open, electronically coupled and < $100 USD.  I sold mine for $90 when I got the ZK25mm. 

I think I need to shoot more, then my gear won't look so pristine... :ph34r:

One of the problems at the K-01 launch (besides the price) was the ghetto plastic 40mm XS lens that was packaged with it.  An ugly body cap lens, it totally exaggerated the K-01's dimensions.  The lens that it should've came with was the DA21mm Ltd which is both an aesthetic match and a more suitable focal length:

(not my images)

[Image: 6986326729_bf3a02d640_z.jpg]

[Image: 1198258_m.jpg]
 Yes, in fact I bought mine S/H, body only, it came with three batteries, I bought a DA 21mm with the idea of doing a bit of street photography. In the end I realized I'm really not that interested in street photography and all the hassle and criticism from people that inevitably goes with it!

It has great IQ in fact, and it's trump card is focus peaking in manual focus (as you know) but it's fallen into disuse, as I have the K5/K3.   I sold the DA 21 in the end and have the K01 up for sale and am doubting if it will ever see any takers!

I've since bought a S/H Nikon D7100 for the Tamron 150-600 and am probably at the last of my many photographic crossroads since it all began in my youth with my grandfathers Voigtlander Besa II.

Go well!

BTW. The two voigtlanders and the Zeiss on your K01 are so delightful that they should be referred to as "camera body jewelry"   rather than  lenses!

Quote: Yes, in fact I bought mine S/H, body only, it came with three batteries, I bought a DA 21mm with the idea of doing a bit of street photography. In the end I realized I'm really not that interested in street photography and all the hassle and criticism from people that inevitably goes with it!

It has great IQ in fact, and it's trump card is focus peaking in manual focus (as you know) but it's fallen into disuse, as I have the K5/K3.   I sold the DA 21 in the end and have the K01 up for sale and am doubting if it will ever see any takers!

I've since bought a S/H Nikon D7100 for the Tamron 150-600 and am probably at the last of my many photographic crossroads since it all began in my youth with my grandfathers Voigtlander Besa II.

Go well!

BTW. The two voigtlanders and the Zeiss on your K01 are so delightful that they should be referred to as "camera body jewelry"   rather than  lenses!

Sadly, I sold the Voigtländer 90mm.  Those SL(I) lens were a beautiful to hold and look at.  The optically identical SLII lens are plainer better built tho'.

The best bet to sell your K-01 would be on the Pentax Forums.

I thought street photography was about the street, criticize away....

[Image: p400251708-4.jpg]

[Image: p127271616-4.jpg]

[Image: p501832279-4.jpg]

[Image: p179513314-5.jpg]
Quote:The problem remains - what is the unique selling point of the thing ? The lens ?

But yes, it is good that Pentax is alive.

Perhaps the <i>lenses </i>that can be interchanged with it are the unique selling point?

Sony (APS-c) introduces interesting new bodies ad nauseam but gets criticized for their lack of lenses (and lack of decent lenses).

Pentax has a thorough and interesting line of decent lenses and gets criticized for their conservative* body updates (which are fairly progressive).

*K-01 and K-S1 aside...
Honestly I think that the Pentax DSLRs are great. Easily as good as the rest of the DSLR gang.

But in the last few years they didn't really come up with something exciting on the lens side.

People are simply getting used to evolution and we haven't seen any substantial updates other than the rather cosmetic updates of their kit zooms and the HD coating (which is nothing really).

And as mentioned - what is their lighthouse product ? What outshines the others ? Their pancake story has been eaten away by the mirrorless gang years ago thus their traditional argument (compact size/low weight) is lo longer valid. 

Don't misunderstand me - similar arguments apply to Sony Alpha DSLRs. 

The market simply doesn't understand anymore why Pentax/Sony DSLRs are needed which is also why they are both disappearing from stores.

Again - it is a very good system - but Nikon and Canon are excellent DSLR systems. Thus Pentax needs to make us WOW.
Quote:Honestly I think that the Pentax DSLRs are great. Easily as good as the rest of the DSLR gang.

But in the last few years they didn't really come up with something exciting on the lens side.

People are simply getting used to evolution and we haven't seen any substantial updates other than the rather cosmetic updates of their kit zooms and the HD coating (which is nothing really).

And as mentioned - what is their lighthouse product ? What outshines the others ? Their pancake story has been eaten away by the mirrorless gang years ago thus their traditional argument (compact size/low weight) is lo longer valid. 

The market simply doesn't understand anymore why Pentax/Sony DSLRs are needed which is also why they are both disappearing from stores.

Again - it is a very good system - but Nikon and Canon are excellent DSLR systems. Thus Pentax needs to make us WOW.

Sorry for not being clearer, I was talking only about the Sony E-mount mirrorless APS-...not the Sony dSLR (I can't keep the names straight in Sony anymore).   The have some of the most interesting bodies, but few (decent) lenses for them.   Pentax has the (mostly) complete lines of lenses, but gets criticized for being boring.  It's just funny to contrast the arguments against them.  
Quote:Honestly I think that the Pentax DSLRs are great. Easily as good as the rest of the DSLR gang.

Again - it is a very good system - but Nikon and Canon are excellent DSLR systems.""""" Thus Pentax needs to make us WOW.""""""
Absolutely that, the WOW factor just isn't there, when you look at what's happened in the last two to three years, with Sony, Samsung, Fuji and Panasonic etc. they've just entered into a new era. What's more as far I see on the forums, there's a lot of us old guys in Pentax, some of which like me, are only a few meters short of the cliff edge, Pentax has to attract younger buyers and they want gizmos, the latest ones, ones where they get out their iphone 6s and show their friends their latest shots and the like.

So in Pentaxland an orientable screen and Wifi is "huge" in the new world they are "must have" features, the new lens is also a big bonus. 

Pentax has to appeal to the young, after all, you don't make money counting the splashes.  B)