•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And we got there (no more Lightroom standalone)
Apropos Photos on (High) Sierra: If you are missing Aperture's raw editing, try RAW Power by gentlemencoders.com. The guy behind the app has a certain history with Aperture. It works stand-alone or as Photos plug-in. There are no DAM functions, so you're left with the limitations of Photos.app.

I've tried it yet only briefly on my wife's Air - I'm still reluctant to upgrade to Sierra. 

Hi guys,

I have experienced similar problems in the past. Here is my approach.

1. OS windows 7 later upgraded to 10

2. Image processing - Photohop CS6

3. LIbrary managements - still follow the old school approach - " 12 significant photographs per year is a good crop". Honestly I cannot mostly I cannot manage to make twelve picture/year.

4. Camera - still fine with Canon 400d and 50d - see #2 - great with photoshop CS6. Seriously consider to by second 50d for 100Euro.

Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop

============
so far so good. Am I happy shooter? The answer is yes. e.g. yesterday I came back with bunch of keepers - Canon 50D sigma 150 Macro/Non OS

One issue not solved. I had datacolor spider pro. They ask me to pay 70% extra to upgrade to win 10. I refused. Then I received  many other datacolor - offers in my e-mail spam folder.  Do you know how I can escape from the last vulture company. Is there any open source project that works with datacolor spider pro.

===

My personal feeling over Adobe - seems to be summarized here

http://bgr.com/2016/12/12/steve-jobs-iph...h-testing/

"“One of the things that has irked me over the subsequent years was that people widely ridiculed Steve for this decision,” Burrough later added. “However, the decision was the right one based on both technical reasons and that Adobe was a shi**y partner. Almost a decade later, it turns out that Steve Jobs was right. Flash is dead and Adobe is a still a shi**y partner.”"

I'll later share the new tentative processing workflow I'm defining (the idea is a transition period in which I'll use both LR and C1, the former for the library things that miss C1, the latter for editing).

At the moment I'm reprocessing the last session (one day, the past week, in Bellinzona) to get into acquaintance with C1 and I'm pretty pretty pleased. The learning curve is easier than I expected.

What I fear is some apparently minor missing feature that then turns into a showstopper... For instance, the last thing I did yesterday was "recipes", that is the way to export stuff. Very similar to LR, but more effective for a couple of reasons. But... it seems C1 misses a simple checkbox to override the output file if it already exists... it always chooses to create a new copy. Fortunately in this case, if no other solution is found, I can solve with a custom made batch script that post-processes the output directory.

Next thing will be the creation and use of custom, ColorChecker Passport based camera profiles. While X-Rite has got a specific plugin for Lightroom, and it's able to create "dual illuminant" profiles that are good for various moments of the day, I see that C1 can't. With some work you can just create a single illuminant profile... Let's see what happens...

PS I knew it, but effectively the improved quality of the post-processed files in C1, in comparison to LR, is relevant, especially for things like sharpening - indeed it seems it's the RAW engine that does a better job since the beginning.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:I'll later share the new tentative processing workflow I'm defining (the idea is a transition period in which I'll use both LR and C1, the former for the library things that miss C1, the latter for editing).

At the moment I'm reprocessing the last session (one day, the past week, in Bellinzona) to get into acquaintance with C1 and I'm pretty pretty pleased. The learning curve is easier than I expected.

What I fear is some apparently minor missing feature that then turns into a showstopper... For instance, the last thing I did yesterday was "recipes", that is the way to export stuff. Very similar to LR, but more effective for a couple of reasons. But... it seems C1 misses a simple checkbox to override the output file if it already exists... it always chooses to create a new copy. Fortunately in this case, if no other solution is found, I can solve with a custom made batch script that post-processes the output directory.

Next thing will be the creation and use of custom, ColorChecker Passport based camera profiles. While X-Rite has got a specific plugin for Lightroom, and it's able to create "dual illuminant" profiles that are good for various moments of the day, I see that C1 can't. With some work you can just create a single illuminant profile... Let's see what happens...

PS I knew it, but effectively the improved quality of the post-processed files in C1, in comparison to LR, is relevant, especially for things like sharpening - indeed it seems it's the RAW engine that does a better job since the beginning.
And here's another customer lost by Adobe with so many doing the same hope they change their attitude or the market will be dominated by others
Quote:And here's another customer lost by Adobe with so many doing the same hope they change their attitude or the market will be dominated by others

Unfortunately we have a situation here where the only thing that counts is "the bottom line".......  they have "escaped" from their piratable form of PS, to a carefully planned rent only form.

Adobe's profits are soaring...........zero change is in the offing!
Quote:      Unfortunately we have a situation here where the only thing that counts is "the bottom line".......  they have "escaped" from their piratable form of PS, to a carefully planned rent only form.

Adobe's profits are soaring...........zero change is in the offing!
Well photoshop CC is easily piratable you can buy a DVD with a full working version with no expiry for less than one EUR in many countries
If the "end result" would count (that's how I interprete "bottom line") then Adobe would now be unlucky. I think, most are so used to stay in the now only catalog + converter software around because the transition would harm their work in the past. I don't know how I would have decide, if Apple had offered a rental model of Aperture.

Sure, all of those who manage their files in a traditional way and  are used to a ton of more clicks than LR / Aperture does with certain clicks - they all do not know the difference between Libraries and traditional file management. What I don't know, I will not miss.

stoppingdown, you had a look into LCC profiles? I have no idea what "dual illuminant" profiles are and please let's keep it that way  Smile as it is something only relevant for a ColorChecker - LR combination I will never use.

LCC profiles are good for dust removal and homogenize light. Never did so because most of the time I take a picture is for either already homogene light or to keep two or more light qualities the way they are. But maybe I should give it a try as well...

To Apple Photos.app: After hitting the "info"-button, I find the picture is keeping too much secrets  :ph34r: Some things are rather cool - using a variant slider to lighten or darken a picture is interesting to watch with open "details" panel as you see 7 sliders moving but not simultaneously and not in the same direction.

[url=]http://<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cnKhmgzSvik?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/url]

Really: Embedding a video in this forum is a pain.

Quote:If the "end result" would count (that's how I interprete "bottom line") then Adobe would now be unlucky. I think, most are so used to stay in the now only catalog + converter software around because the transition would harm their work in the past. I don't know how I would have decide, if Apple had offered a rental model of Aperture.

Sure, all of those who manage their files in a traditional way and are used to a ton of more clicks than LR / Aperture does with certain clicks - they all do not know the difference between Libraries and traditional file management. What I don't know, I will not miss.
Just an off topic:

I use the traditional way, no libraries, never used lightroom because I didn't like the libraries and I am glad I didn't.

One of my supposed dead hard drives with plenty of photos for which I have no backup just came back to life I have no explanation, I am happily retrieving the pictures.
Hope you learnt your lesson? Before buying a new lens, get a backup drive  Wink

•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next