Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metz files for insolvency
The Metz company in Germany has today filed for insolvency.  See e.g. http://www.sueddeutsche.de/bayern/insolv...-1.2228967, if you can read German.  The article discusses their TV bussiness and doesn't even mention their lightening branch.  Right now it is not clear what it means to photographers, at least to me.

For over 30 years I have been using Metz flash units.  I liked their SCA system, which allowed moving flashes between camera systems.  It would be very sad to see them go.

enjoy
Gulp!!!   That would be a huge shock to the industry, let's hope someone stands up and buys out their photo division!

I'm sorry, I don't shed a tear to them. They started very late with LEDs and brought some studio flashes with no advantage to others. I've three Metz flashlights, the oldest from the eighties. All of them are wobbly in some way. I also got me a tiny SB500 from Nikon - entirely different story. Nothing wobbles, no plastic noises.

These days I don't use those old Metz flashlights directly in the hot shoe. I'm concerned of voltage peak when releasing

Quote:I've three Metz flashlights, the oldest from the eighties.

These days I don't use those old Metz flashlights directly in the hot shoe. I'm concerned of voltage peak when releasing

Ah! Well. And what does your post mean for Metz's actual line of flashlights?

Right! Nothing! Albeit I don't actually own any Metz, I still think its a loss for

the market. You now have only the choice of the productline that your

cameramanufacturer has and heaps of cheap junk.

Rainer
All of those old Metz flashlights have kind of a tilting, swivelling reflector. None of them comes even close to the mechanical quality of a Nikon (current) flashlight - so, who was producing (cheaper than the original) junk? Together with the idea of naming high flash guidance numbers (for ISO 100 and reflector in "tele" mode, because the focal length is meant to be 105 mm) I really don't see the reason why Metz should survive when other flash producers like Braun, Osram, Agfa - to name a few - already closed their doors. Given the mechanical quality of their SCA adaptors it's hard to justify the prices. And just because a product is named i.e. Yongnuo doesn't mean it's junk. After all, Yongnuo does offer wireless flashes and Metz? Nothing. At. All.

Now, maybe you want to tell us why you don't use Metz? I already spent some bucks on them. There are already a couple of great brands sold out to other "investors". Each of them was a loss under certain aspects, but the gaps were mostly filled up - and Metz failed to stay on top given their prices. Getting the same value cheaper is fashionable these days.

This is more like a Chapter 11 filing in North America, i;e; to restructure the balance sheet. They continue operations and sales, service, etc. There is no indication that Metz will disappear.

Quote:This is more like a Chapter 11 filing in North America, i;e; to restructure the balance sheet. They continue operations and sales, service, etc. There is no indication that Metz will disappear.

Not like a Chapter 11 filing in Canada....

Someone disappear newcomer is here. Welcome yongnuo.
Hi

As discussed, the company get restructured. The TV business and the Photoelectronics split. The website of the latter is http://www.metz-mecatech.de.

Despite everything said by Jolu, I like my Metz units and even still use my 30 year old 32CT3 to this day. I have a more modern 54MZ4i as well. The two reflectors of that are brilliant. I really like their SCA system and am not so happy they phased it out.

I think the Olympus in camera flash support is not so good (often under exposured, to much of a delay between measuring flash and actual exposure). The A setting of the 54MZ4i using the sensor in the flash solves this for me. Exposures from that mode on that unit amaze me.

Joachim
enjoy
The reasons I went so hard at them are, I have three different Metz models, all between LZ 32 and 36 (at 100 ISO and in "normal reflector position"). I know they are a big employer in the region and it's a shame so many people loose their jobs. But that goes for other kind of same stories as well. Their management relied for too long on the Made in Germany label.

Of course I have to put in perspective how old the flashlights are. Which is one of the reasons I don't use them anymore, I just don't want to get a modern camera's circuit fried by old flash electronics. Even in the old days, there were only the handheld 45 and 60 models with a very decent mechanic, the rest was wobbly or could only tilt the reflector. The SCA adapters were a good idea, but executed a bit fiddly and their clamping nut often clamped not good enough. I recall a couple of situations when the flash fell off or slipped out of it's contact position.

These days I use a Nikon 500 model or one other 3rd party product with two tiny reflectors fixed on the lens while the main unit resides in hot shoe. Especially the Nikon is worth it's price. Powerful although small and light and only two batteries in, with a very efficient locking mechanism to the hot shoe that would not be possible with a SCA foot. I use it if I have to. I'm no big fan of unpredictable light from little portable flashes since I learnt about studio flashes with pilot light. Metz has not much to offer on that field, they always were focused on reporters.

If I were looking for new flashlights, I'd look somewhere else. I already gave Metz good money for not so good products. Their competition was not that sleepy. My sympathy goes for the workers, but it's the management which has higher salaries and lower ideas.