Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
film: negative scanning vs printing
Quote:Hi Frank

As others said, it's difficult to give an explanation - there are too many variables involved. The EV in the shots may be different (the camera may not have exposed as set), the film may be miss-processed, on top of that the scans may have been done at different settings or processed differently. No surprise the results are inconsistent. Although to be honest the 1/1000 shoot does indeed look like there was something wrong. The dark parts appear washed out - since this is a negative it might mean the scanner did not recover sufficient detail in the bright areas of the film. Or it might just be that the scanner used a wrong black point setting.

If you want to eliminate all these variables you need to look at the negatives. With a digital camera, take two digital shots of the two negatives, at _exactly_ the same exposure settings (use manual exposure without metering) and post the results here. The two film frames shot at f/4x1/100 and f/5.6x1/500 should look identical. If they don't then there was a problem either with the camera or the film processing.

P.S. Do your cameras have vertical or horizontal shutters?

Hi danida12:

Thank you very much for your response and advice. My camera has horizontal shutters, i.e. the shutter curtains move horizontally.

Tomorrow I will photograph the negative with a DSLR as you suggested. I assume that I should do in the following way: I need some lighting from the back of the negative so I will glue the negtive on a clean window with tapes. I mount my DSLR with a macro lens on the tripod, carefully frame so that a frame on the negative almost fully fill in the frame in the DSLR (or at least fill in a large central part of the frame in the DSLR). After geting the correct metering, manually fixed the aperture and the shutter speed in manual mode. Then photograph each frame on the negative corresponding to the above three images.

Indeed I have visually checked the negatives. The negative corresponding to the image in #6 looks indeed that bad as in the image. The print also looks that bad. Other negatives and prints look normal. So I think the cause for the problem in the image in #6 can be excluded from the process of scanning and printing, right?

Best regards,

Frank
Quote: 

My camera has horizontal shutters, i.e. the shutter curtains move horizontally.

Well, it might be then that there is a failure in the shutter above 1/1000 - this could explain the shading on one side.

Simple test - shoot a plain wall above 1/1000 and see how the film looks like.

Quote: 

I will glue the negtive on a clean window with tapes

Window light is likely to change - and quite quickly sometimes. Better is to have a consistent back-light (a light table)

But you might not need to go through all the trouble. You can investigate the shutter issue first.

Quote:Well, it might be then that there is a failure in the shutter above 1/1000 - this could explain the shading on one side.

Simple test - shoot a plain wall above 1/1000 and see how the film looks like.

Window light is likely to change - and quite quickly sometimes. Better is to have a consistent back-light (a light table)

But you might not need to go through all the trouble. You can investigate the shutter issue first.

Yes. I will do as you advised.