Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tamron announces developent of 15-30mm f2.8 Di VC USD FF UWA zoom
Pretty impressive, image stabilization and f2.8 and 15mm wide. If the optics will be impressive too, this will be one popular lens (albeit with a weight deficit: 1.1 kg).

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9045794...correction

Yet another top flight FF lens no doubt, but this could be where the partisans of mirror-less and full framers part directions completely and decide the uncertain future of the industry and changing markets. 

Are we going to be using discreet compact mirror-less APSc cameras that produce nonetheless, great results, or is it the FF "behemoths"  producing totally perfect images with this new generation of heavy -weight no compromise optical monsters?  great that they may be!

It will be fun watching!
I agree that there will be a split in the market. Before "mirrorless" there was no good alternative to compact digitals and people who did not need a DSLR got one anyway. 15mm f2.8 stabilized, that is pretty extreme. Imagine 10mm f1.8 on Fuji X or Sony formerlyknownasnex...
This might be a rad lens. First, I went "wow!" on hearing about this, then the 1,1 KG weight kinda put me off, but then the kind people over at FM pointed out that it's pretty comparable to the Nikkor 14-24 (I missed that narrative completely, being a Canon user).

In a year or so, we will know for sure.

The Nikon is a great piece of glass. I just don't use it often in bright sunshine. If I want to go just wide-angle, 24/1.4 creates less flare and offers more opportunities wide open. If I want to go wider-angle, the flares pump in in often hard to control ways. As the bulb glass moves forward, it becomes more fare-collecting the wider I go.

Therefore I welcome each new wider-angle lens, be it zoom or prime. I would just wait to make a decision for this Tamron until the rumored Sigma 14-24/4 turns out to become reality.