Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telepathy (digital back for analog cameras)
A few days ago I ran into my old Nikon FG, a completely manual/mechanical camera that I bought, used, a couple of years before switching to digital. I used it for a short time, but I enjoyed shooting something, once in a while, with a totally mechanical gear. Then, of course, it started collecting dust. All of a sudden I thought about posting here a totally useless topic, just for chatting, about the possibility of having a digital back - with minimal electronics - to be used with such mechanical cameras. I don't think I'd even buy it (unless it was really cheap); just to guess why there are lots of out-of-mass-market, kickstarter-like projects around, and why not that one.

Et voilà, just read:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sam...35mm-analo

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Pity it's about a decade too late. I also don't see the advantage of going back to 8, 12 or 16 MP when you get a used 36 MP D800 for around 1000 bucks if you're lucky. Most of all, I'm afraid that bodies lying around for more than a decade will grow some mechanical issues.

On the other side: I saw a second hand Leica R8 with 4 lenses for around 1100.- I just doubt that this evoce will be available for many old bodies - there was never a standard for their backs.

The design also looks cumbersome - can somebody explain (or guess) why they decided to go with a glass focusing screen, that is then projected on the sensor, instead of directly place the sensor in the place where film was?

PS I don't think is a matter of megapixels... one would go that route just for the fun of using an old camera...

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
It's a matter of sensor size. They use a smartphone camera module (so tiny sensor) to photograph the glass screen.

Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:It's a matter of sensor size. They use a smartphone camera module (so tiny sensor) to photograph the glass screen.

Thanks. So it's a way to keep costs down. So, back to my original point, I suppose that a "regular" back, APS-C sensor would be way too expensive for the little niche of market of this thing.
stoppingdown.net

I was looking at Kickstarter. It might be a good sign if someone has a keyboard which never saw a cleaning cloth since it came out of the box, but I consider typing on it as disgusting and contagious, so I'll pass for sure.

So they're kind of photographing a matte screen with a cellphone lens? I double pass.  Big Grin

Plus, the back doesn't look much smaller tahn of the IQ bacls for Phase One  :wacko: At least, you cannot use the viewfinder anymore.

This looks awkward in the extreme. Who might need it apart from those with hardcore cases of nostalgia when the used market is awash in second hand DSLRs?..  :blink:

the problem, how would the camera know you are shooting ?

a more practical alternative: just use film, you can even scan to a RAW / DNG file

with film you might maybe not get the same quality but get  at least more enjoyment and you will notice  your keepers rate will rise a lot
The allure of the old 35mm cameras was their manual focusing using split screens and such.  If they gave you that it might be fun!

Just shoot black and white film and develop it at home. It's not expensive, nor really cumbersome.