Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Samyang 50 mm T1.5 AS UMC
Thus Samyang is also joining the nifty-fifty insanity:

http://www.samyang-europe.com/index.php/...1-5-as-umc

The image at the bottom suggest that they will also release a convention 50mm f/1.4 - which is hardly surprising, of course.

[Image: 50mm-1.4-front.jpg]

The sample image of the sunflower looks rather stunning.

Honestly I am expecting a great performer ... which remind me that I need to catch up with their latest releases.
What about the grass one? Not so nice transition zone, although I couldn't say if other lenses would be much better or worse there. Like all these things, I think it will come down to price:performance ratio for most.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Samyang 50mm f1.4 AS UMC (normal version), Samyang 50mm T1.5 AS UMC (cine version).

9 elements in 6 groups, 1 element of those is aspherical, and one is a hybrid aspherical element.

[Image: samyang%20opitcs-50mm-F1.4-camera%20lens...1_c8mm.jpg]

Weight is an almost reasonable 535 grams (EF mount, other mount versions sit between 510 (Pentax K) and 605 grams (Fuji X)). In comparison: Canon EF 50mm f1.2 L USM: 545 grams, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art: 815 grams.

From the samples, it seems to render pretty smoothly. 

http://www.syopt.com/en/camera/photo-len...IF-UMC.php

Quote:What about the grass one? Not so nice transition zone, although I couldn't say if other lenses would be much better or worse there. Like all these things, I think it will come down to price:performance ratio for most.
I actually find the grass one to be rendered really well, don't see any problems in "the transition zone"...  :o
Looks very nice! Samyang could be well placed to undercut the market here as cine lenses tend to be overpriced in relation to their minimal additional construction, as you say the sunflower shot is a  "wowzer";

Guess I'll just have to find the time to get my Space Wagon out of the garage and see how the Samyang shapes up against the Sigma in the outer ethers!

Still no AF...  :unsure:

i have the samyang 14mm and i love it... still i think the Absence of AF matters more to a 50mm lens than to a 14mm

mixed emotions.

Quote:i have the samyang 14mm and i love it... still i think the Absence of AF matters more to a 50mm lens than to a 14mm

mixed emotions.
Yes, wide angle with its small apertures makes accurate focussing not a necessity at al, things tend to look in focus anyway. With a good focus screen, one can be very successful with MF with a 50mm f1.4, of course. But not all styles of photography can easily make do with MF only.
I think you're exaggerating, because there's a long way between a photo being "not completely blurry" and even "usably sharp", let alone "of good sharpness". And in my case, the hit rate even with the 14mm - AF one to boot - is far from 100%, especially under dim light. Ah, if only the claims like "wide angle with its small apertures makes accurate focussing not a necessity at all" were true... (YMMV, of course).

Quote:I think you're exaggerating, because there's a long way between a photo being "not completely blurry" and even "usably sharp", let alone "of good sharpness". And in my case, the hit rate even with the 14mm - AF one to boot - is far from 100%, especially under dim light. Ah, if only the claims like "wide angle with its small apertures makes accurate focussing not a necessity at all" were true... (YMMV, of course).
Set your 14mm to MF and manual focus. Your hit rate will shoot up, I am sure...