Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few days away with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART lens
Hi guys,

Just got back from my holidays right far off on the other side of the galaxy way way out there, you know trying to find the beginning of time, taking a few shots of some of the more obscure galaxies and a few red dwarfs, that sort of thing, just space mooching really.

But you know how it is when take a holiday, yeah you got it , nothing really seems to go to plan, especially out there, none of the gravity fields seem to line up , there always an unforeseeable meteor shower turning up just when the wipers have quit , one minute your dazzled by the birth of a nuclear star, the next your peering into the blackness hoping it's not a proverbial hole and all this time your going at Mach two zillion hanging on to the wheel for dear life, there were moments when I wondered if this was really a holiday at all!

But that's space travel for you, you just got to take it as it comes and after a three or four days I was settling in to the rhythm trying to find a bar open somewhere, when in the far far distance I saw a pin point light. Hey this mother was growing fast and in no time it was a hundred times bigger until the far side of the universe was a courronne of brilliant blue white light. Hell's teeth, this was no time to ask questions, with a giant sized lump in my throat and one rapidly forming in my pants, a swung the wheel and wrenched at the handbrake, in two micro seconds I'd done the quickest u-turn since the beginning of time itself. With clenched teeth, head down and both feet pressing on the gas I accelerated away winding in the plutonium rods, I felt my body flattened against the seat and had just milli-seconds to engage the auto-pilot before unconsciousness took me in to the blackness.

Of course I had no idea of time but I found myself coming round, dazed, trying to figure out where I was, I was blinded the light dazzling me in the mirrors, was it coming closer? it was difficult to tell, I checked the turbos, four were whining a high pitched scream, better engage the other two, I yanked at the levers, they kicked into life howling at full stretch, it was deafening. I quickly thought of all the time I'd spent modding the motors, months of working through the night in the garage, this was payback time. I slapped the dashboard, "Come on baby, you can do it"!

I tried to gather my thoughts and looked over my shoulder, what the mother in hell is happening out there? It was becoming obvious, no doubt about this one, this is the end of the universe itself and I knew I had to outrun it, my years of study were put to the test here, I had to find the shortest route home using all the gravitational forces and time slipstreams available to me, before their existence was snuffed out. I opened the glove-box and pulled out some maps, quickly glancing over my shoulder I thought, well I'm holding my own. Star systems were flying by the windows in a blur and I struggled to find a recognizable galaxy. Finally I spotted Zena Altronus approaching on my left, I unfolded the chart, right, there's my baby, should be able to kick into it's gravity field and catapult myself towards the old Milky, just hope I get a good tail wind! I had to put enough time between me and the exploding universe to get home and still live out my life and collect my pension!

I turned the wheel gently trying not to slow, I could feel Zena's gravity tugging me in, the shaking was as infernal as was the noise! Another glance over my shoulder, there was a panorama of exploding stars and small galaxies like a rapidly spreading fire speckled with huge plumes of multi coloured gasses, a swirling fusion of all the elements that permeated the universe, all giving out their utmost. A huge white planet the size of which I never seen was passing to my right in front of the exploding carnage behind. I was awestruck by the beauty of this normally never seen in a lifetime spectacle and snapped off several shots, in no time at all it was gone. I glanced at the dials, never had I seen this speed, this was big league stuff!

I don't know for how long I was out, but I woke feeling hungry and thirsty, I drank with long gulps and broke out a lunch pack. Another glance over my shoulder, this time there was no doubt, the exploding galaxies were receding in the distance and the heat from my motors was enough to convince me that the long rods I'd chosen for the trip should get me home. After a quick study of the charts while munching away, I tapped in the co-ordinates into the autopilot and climbed into bed.

Man I was wrecked, like so totally wrecked, I strapped on the wrist bands, switched on the power, calculated the journey time, set the trip timer to three years, pulled down the lid and slept the sleep of the gods!....................

These shots are taken whilst glancing over my shoulder with the Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art fully open  showing clearly that it can even handle the extensive and totally overwhelming degrees of contrast of the final end of the universe itself with consummate ease. No problems!

I hope I haven't disturbed you readers by signaling that in fact the universe has already ended, however don't be alarmed as my return speed was many millions of times faster than the speed of light and I calculate that we and our children's children should see it through and collect our pensions.

All the best

I'll have what he's having.

Captured by Aliens? I know that feeling. Some Tuesdays are famous for that.

Did you want to tell us something essential? Can you try it within two sentences, just because that can be fun, too?

Story too long, pics worthless...