Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Quote:Actually Sony does not underdesign lenses with the exception of the 16-50mm I think. Some of their lenses are just not good which doesn't help, of course. :-)

Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic and Samsung ARE underdesigning lenses since they are assume that at least distortion compensation is in place. You don't really want to use their wide lenses without digital correction. With the exception of CAs, these are all lossy procedures (distortion correction costs corner resolution, vignetting correction increases corner noise).
CA correction is lossy too... You either do not correct them, and instead mask them (remove the colour edges), but then you keep the loss of contrast/sharpness due to CA anyway. Or, you shrink the "offending" R/G/B channel till all channels project the same size, but then you need to crop the image a bit too. At least you end up with better sharpness/contrast.  

I'd say that proper CA correction works on the R/G/B channels really. Honestly I do not see why this should shrink an image in a relevant scale. We are talking about  max. 4px maybe - usually much less than that.

Most camera manufacturers that offer CA "correction" do the colour artefact masking thing, not the correcting for real.