Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A on APS-C
Quote:A friend of mine has the 35mm f1.4 Art and it's such a great lens. And now Sigma has this 50mm.

How did Sigma get ahead of Nikon like this? I read that the Sigma engineers could have made this even sharper than the Otus but that they wanted higher local contrast and sacrificed overall sharpness to get it.

Does anyone know if Nikon's AF fine tune will recognize this lens?
Sigma are the leading opticians in my view out there at the moment making esoteric lenses at real world prices and they are beating the pants off Canikon simply because they are prepared to use latest optical technology to take on all comers and beat them, including Zeiss and Leica.

The $11,000 Leica  F0.95 is a cult lens (resolution wise nothing special) in Leica-land, but that is an island culture. The Zeiss Otus to be honest, is probably the "king" being a true APO design and will probably beat  the competition optically, but with it's price tag, manual focus and it's gargantuan size it's not going to find itself into many homes. The Nikon is just outdated and overpriced, which leaves the Sigma the outright winner, being just a sniff short of the Otus optically, while being lighter and having auto focus, plus having the base station for fine tuning AF at three different distances, it's only significant shortcoming being  a slightly rough front bokeh.

A home run! 

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A on APS-C - by davidmanze - 06-19-2014, 09:08 PM