Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A on APS-C
Holy fuck I had a long reply but I hit backspace to end numbered listing, which caused the page to go back and dumped my reply.  This will be nowhere near as long now (fucking editor - threw away thousands of characters)

It's lensrentals data.  25 copies.  I processed it.

The machine is theirs, it's a great machine, but still lower grade than the one available to me in my university's lab (I'm an optical engineering major, working towards my master's.)

Tolerance=variance. 

I am referring to Klaus' first 23 - http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/top...entry25867

Canon won't make a 50mm prime distagon because it requires that it be too big and too heavy.  They have physical as well as optical constraints that they self-enforce.  They talked about this with the 50/1.0L vs 50/1.2L development.

I consider canon's sensors good enough - I have never required more DR than my 6D gives me, and in the dark it's as good as or better than any camera that's not a D3s/D4/D4s/Df/1Dx/A7s.  They are not the best, that is irrefutable, but "good enough".  The 7D introduced new sensor tech, I believe the 7D2 will as well.

Sigma has three truly great lenses - 35A, 50A, 120-300S, canon has dozens of truly great lenses.  Nikon has fewer, but still many, many more than sigma.  And they have better (more reliable) AF to boot.  Sigma can build a lens almost as good as the otus at tech benchmarks (like the 50A) with autofocus for 1/3 the price, but if they can't get every nearly every copy to autofocus completely consistently like first party lenses, the fact that it autofocuses is merely a convenience and not to be relied on. 

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A on APS-C - by Scythels - 06-21-2014, 11:40 PM