Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A on APS-C
Thanks for the reply, Scythels, especially for the double work. Same happened to me twice. Thanks also for clearing the data source. I've seen the presentation context but didn't recall the details of the various solutions.

As for AF consitency: Yesterday I played with FoCal AFMA calibration. In the first steps of -20, -10, 0 +10, +20 the bar of the AFMA prediction remains green if the prediction is stable, or yellow if it's less predictable (= difficult to AF) or red, if it's very difficult. Several lenses showed yellow bars and one was red and went over 50 shutter releases to predict the proper AFMA. I say "predict" because I'm used to "less than 100% in-focus AF" on all lenses. Anyway, it were not the Sigma's showing a red line...

And there's not much of a difference between genuine fast glass and Sigma fast glass, I believe - but it's hard to tell as I throw away the out of focus ones. And I don't have the choice between various 35 or 50 or 24 or 85. What I try to do is taking just more than one shot, if focus is difficult and not possible with LiveView.

The one "truly great" you forgot was the 18-35/1.8 or you consider it as less truly great - which is okay by me, I just have a different opinion about it. This especially causes a lot of headache to Nikon's AF and to me, too. It's outstanding sharp if the AF hits the mark but fast wide angles on Nikon's DX bodies appear to be a hard task for the AF module (which is in 7100 the same as in D800).

Sigma needs to adapt their lenses to a couple of manufacturers, even their own bodies. Genuine lenses should being better than 3rd party, otherwise the manufacturers would do some serious faults. But if you call Canon's sensor "good enough", as Nikon owner I can call Sigma's AF "good enough", too  Wink I'm not used to much better AF reliability from the genuine manufacturer.

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM | A on APS-C - by JJ_SO - 06-22-2014, 06:03 AM