Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Totally off topic, my best friend made and became a professional photojournalist
Totally off topic, my best friend Ghas had a longtime dream of becoming a photojournalist, he is from a poor family and he inherited his father's job: concierge, however that didn't stop him from following his dream, ever since we met in 2004 he showed me some pictures taken with Canon A1 FD back then , it was clear he had an exceptional talent, we have talking photography every time we meet ever since, He managed to collect some money and buy his dream camera 7D (MKi) in 2012, I helped him a lot completing his gear, and letting him use my lenses whenever he needed, 

He has been shooting events and posting to his Facebook account  since then, he learnt progressively the technical side.

He had some minor assignment in photography poorly paid, until his work was noticed by Lebanon's leading events website beiruting.com who contacted him and offered him a job, he called me sunday, he was anxious about his first assignment, covering a rally paper, as expected he did a great job and now he fulfilled his dream doing what liked most  

A great story. Proves that if you're set on getting somewhere, you're going to get there eventually... if you persevere and work hard enough.

As a feedback, talked to ghas yesterday, he is quite happy, after seeing the work he has done since his first week the comment he got "where were you all this time, we needed someone just like you"
Good to have supportive colleagues around you. I don't mean to sound plaintive, but in my first few years in the profession, I wasn't getting a lot of that.