Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name a lens for which you would invest in a system
wish my 10-18 had electronic scale or 7D or 750D gave me focus distance on their LCD things would have been much easier, of course using the focus scale isn't for shallow depth of field photography but sometimes it's handy

I found Fuji's electronic guesstimation to be absolutely and hilariously wrong in both cases btw. What is said on the LCD/EVF and what is happening in reality almost never really matched.

I got a Batis and the electronic distance scale seems to be accurate, and in fact surprisingly useful. One problem there though: It considers the working aperture, not the taking aperture. So if you use the camera in Setting Effect Preview OFF mode (aka lens stays open until the picture is taken), it will show the DOF scale in wide open mode. You have to press the DOF Preview button to update the numbers.

Is this thread about unique lenses or night photography ?

It started with the Canon standard zoom EFS 17-55f2.8 IS - take your pick, but I don't see that close to unique or nightshot lenses ^_^ ... and feel free to come up with UV lenses, gearbox zoom or simply the cuddly feeling of some rubber rings  Big Grin 

I did some nightshots yesterday night and had troubles to focus. When I started to buy Nikon, the 14-24/2.8 was a tiny echo from the cheerful report of a Canon shooter who adapted it to his EOS 1D whatever mark. Honestly, I had no idea that I would own it only half a year later. These days it's more balanced, I think. Some glass would be worth to go Canon, but not necessarily accept the shortcomings of their sensors. Which I honestly expect to see in direct comparison - but not in real life. For Canon speaks also that I could adapt nearly all available lenses. And the Canon glass also is adaptable to Sony, so kind of investment protection.
Of course it's better to have a modern sensor, however I am sure on A4 prints for most shots nobody would be able to tell if a photo was taken with an outdated D70 or with D850, last summer I did three weddings with 5D and 30D prints of pictures taken this year with 7Dmkii and 750D are maybe better, but I am the only one capable of telling the difference and not in all the pictures.

And yes many get into a system for a lens or lenses, otherwise I wouldn't be using Canon, I would surely get Nikon D500 which is at least for me the best camera on the market right now. I know this sounds contradictory to you but in D500 there are plenty of features aside the sensor that make it an outstanding camera
Quote:All I said standard lenses have focus scale written on them, in total darkness you can focus to infinity by looking just on the lens barrel

focus by wire lenses don't have focus scale on them, some cameras like Sony A7 and surely many others show you the focus distance on the camera LCD and thus you can focus to the desired distance with the lens

Focusing to take this one  was a nightmare with 10-18 that focuses by wire, had t focus scale or did the camera write focus distance on the LCD things would have been much easier,, anyway I am not quite happy with the focus here, I should have focused a little further

[Image: gallery_5426_135_80419.jpg]
  I don't know about focusing this and thats.........

but that's a very nice image!
Quote:It started with the Canon standard zoom EFS 17-55f2.8 IS - take your pick, but I don't see that close to unique or nightshot lenses ^_^

... and feel free to come up with UV lenses, gearbox zoom or simply the cuddly feeling of some rubber rings  Big Grin

I did some nightshots yesterday night and had troubles to focus. When I started to buy Nikon, the 14-24/2.8 was a tiny echo from the cheerful report of a Canon shooter who adapted it to his EOS 1D whatever mark. Honestly, I had no idea that I would own it only half a year later. These days it's more balanced, I think. Some glass would be worth to go Canon, but not necessarily accept the shortcomings of their sensors. Which I honestly expect to see in direct comparison - but not in real life. For Canon speaks also that I could adapt nearly all available lenses. And the Canon glass also is adaptable to Sony, so kind of investment protection.

Joju,

Night shots come with focusing problems by definition. AF systems generally do not work below EV -1 or thereabouts, which is independent of iso etc.

The only solution is MF, I am afraid.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Wim, 

tell me all about...  Big Grin

[Image: _DSC0444-XL.jpg]

[Image: _DSC0447-XL.jpg]

[Image: _DSC0455-XL.jpg]

That's what I brought home from yesternight. Should have kept a better eye on this table from DPReview for stars without startrails: https://www.lonelyspeck.com/advanced-ast...alculator/

But even at 10 sec instead of 12 I saw the stars not as dots but short lines.

And there's no way to focus on them, LV at night is just showing flocks of little pixel clouds. The AF of the D850 goes down to -3EV, and the camera could focus where I had no idea how - but it was doing great. At least when there was kind of contrasty contours.

here's a crop from the center of the last picture of my previous post:

[Image: i-nndSNgX-XL.jpg]

I was suprised to see the power poles so clearly

I believe the Sigma AF 30mm f/2.8 EX DN (not the later "Art" version) was available for a number of systems - but on a Sony A6300 it makes for a simply crazy good combination. It´s small, light-weight, reasonably fast, focusing is accurate, and let´s not forget, it´s probably one of the sharpest lenses around at any price, it really is darn sharp! I paid about 100 Euro for this little gem - prices where very low upon introduction of the "Art" version.