Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuji lens roadmap 2014
Here're the things to come ...

Fuji are really on a roll at the moment, that should give Fujiciens the feel good factor!

According to fujirumors.com the "high speed wide angle" will be a 16mm f/1.4 and the "super telephoto zoom" will be a 120-400mm. Not sure how credible these rumors are, but they seem to be quite reasonable given the current line-up of lenses. 

Overall, Fuji seems to be somewhat biased towards the wide-angle side of things  Big Grin

Once these new lenses are all released, Fuji will have the best lineup across all systems except perhaps FF Nikon and Canon.

It will be more complete than any APS-C system out there (including Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Sony) as well as every mirrorless system, including MFT.

All of their lenses make sense. All of them. No overlap or 47 variations of the same slow boring kit-lens (hello MFT).

Looking at Fuji, it makes me wonder when Panasonic and Oly will wake up and release lenses that make actual sense.

If I were to start from scratch today, I'd probably go the Fuji route instead of MFT (or anything else for that matter).

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:All of their lenses make sense. All of them. No overlap or 47 variations of the same slow boring kit-lens (hello MFT).

Looking at Fuji, it makes me wonder when Panasonic and Oly will wake up and release lenses that make actual sense.

If I were to start from scratch today, I'd probably go the Fuji route instead of MFT (or anything else for that matter).

+1.

They also seem to take equivalence into account, which I think is a good thing. Oly, on the other hand, would like everyone to believe that their unspectacular (and relatively expensive) 17/1.8 is equivalent to a 35/1.8 instead of a slowish 35/3.6  Big Grin

Then, there is also the issue of the "Leica"-premium on some Panasonic lenses  <_<  (pretty much the same with Sony and Zeiss)

The lens line-up is actually the reason why I ultimately chose the X-T1 over the E-M1 or the A7. Well, the lenses AND the abundance of retro-styled dials  Big Grin
I wonder if fuji will be releasing a medium format digtal camera this year (rumour is both fuji and sony might do so). With regards to comment on lenses; olympus has some pretty decent lenses and so far their QA has been much better than fuji (at least for the lenses).

Quote:I wonder if fuji will be releasing a medium format digtal camera this year (rumour is both fuji and sony might do so). With regards to comment on lenses; olympus has some pretty decent lenses and so far their QA has been much better than fuji (at least for the lenses).

I agree regarding QC as far as my experience is concerned. All Oly lenses I bought so far seem to have had good QC.

The last thing that I find frustrating is shutter shock. My E-M1 suffers badly from it with certain lenses. For instance at 9mm I have 100% blurry images at around 1/200. Just ridiculous. It makes the whole system absolutely unusable in a UWA setting.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day of electronic leaf shutter...
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Have you tried the firmware update with the anti-shock fix? 

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/03/31/...anti-shock

Maybe my critique of the MFT lenses was a bit harsh. There are some real gems in the line-up (12-40mm for example). I just disagree with some of the lens design choices (would have liked an expensive f/1.2 line-up next to an affordable and compact f/1.8 line) and pricing.  Wink

That being said, some of the Fujifilm lenses are also quite on the expensive side of things... Fortunately, none of my 4 Fujinon lenses seems to be suffering from QC problems. Maybe I'm lucky, or the defects are too subtle to notice while pixel-peeping  Big Grin

Quote:Have you tried the firmware update with the anti-shock fix? 

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/03/31/...anti-shock

Maybe my critique of the MFT lenses was a bit harsh. There are some real gems in the line-up (12-40mm for example). I just disagree with some of the lens design choices (would have liked an expensive f/1.2 line-up next to an affordable and compact f/1.8 line) and pricing.  Wink

That being said, some of the Fujifilm lenses are also quite on the expensive side of things... Fortunately, none of my 4 Fujinon lenses seems to be suffering from QC problems. Maybe I'm lucky, or the defects are too subtle to notice while pixel-peeping  Big Grin

Yes, I forgot to mention I have the latest firmware installed and the 0 sec. delay shutter shock setting set.

It makes no difference whatsoever. On his blog Ming Thein reported that the new firmware only fixed the shutter shock issue in 3 out 5 of his E-M1s. This seems to indicate that there is indeed a real hardware issue that cannot be fixed by firmware.  

As far as MFT lenses goes, I indeed wish there were 2 sets of lenses: ultra fast f1.2 (or fast 1.4) and medium fast f1.8 ones. Currently, we only have the f1.8 ones, but very few faster lenses. I'm also sure the Nokton f/0.95 would sell incredibly well if they were regular AF lenses instead of full manual ones.

If only they would release the following:
  • Compact 8mm f/4
  • 17mm f/1.2 (or at least f/1.4)
  • 25mm f/1.2
  • 200 f/2
  • 1.4x and 2x converters
I also wish the 42.5 f/1.2 lens was smaller. It is larger than the Fuji one which is as fast and for a larger sensor!

Now as far as Fuji is concerned, I think users would appreciate slower, compact f/1.8 lenses for the main focals when size is paramount. For instance:
  • 23 f/1.8
  • 34 f/1.8
  • 56 f/1.8
That would be awesome: the best of both worlds.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
I'm very much looking forward to the 16-55mm f/2.8 OIS and the 50-140mm f/2.8 OIS. Very curious about the price of these, expecting around or more than the 56mm f/1.2.