Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM | A
The conclusion "a fast, high resolving wide angle zoom on prime level" is something I can agree with. However, riding the "only 29-56/2.8” horse is just ignoring the facts that

It might become hard to find a FF zoom resolving like that one

at open aperture and

at that price.

The Nikon version then is 27-52.5/2.7 equivalent, and with that equivalencies overrating (there are still a lot of APS-C users with no plan to move to FX, so an expensive 24-70/2.8 is no alternative) it has to be said in that wide angle region down to 18mm there's nothing faster in primes.

If I want get shallow DoF, FX is the way to go - and the way to spend a lot more money.

If I want to take pictures of dim lit rooms, the lens doesn't work wonders - except at the moment I don't have a tripod with me, because then it becomes extremely useful.

To me, there's another aspect which might be of no weight to most people: I started to get used to the Sigma DPxMerills, I do find the qualities of the Foveon sensor outstanding. Although with massive downsides (lowlight performance, software, small batteries). But in case Sigma presents a new Foveon DSLR on Photokina this year, I can send in the lens and get a new mount.

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM | A - by JJ_SO - 05-13-2014, 05:56 PM
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM | A - by vincent.w.lee - 05-14-2014, 05:02 AM