Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New stuff arrived in da lab
Sony claimed that the 16mp sensor had improved corners (offset micro-lenses) over the older 14mp variant so the marketeers are aware of the concept ...

Actually it is a new sensor. So you could be open about it. Sorry, but you words show very well your anchor value about the Sony system. That's makes your reviews less useful.

Anyway I believe that mirror less lens designs are more sensitive to focus distance. So I like to see how the perform in my intended use.
I hope I am wrong, Klaus, but there seems to be significant reluctance on this site to test or test with Sony's best gear.

Just because Sony have not shouted about improved sensor performance on the A6000 does not mean it doesn't exist - and there have been various examples posted on the web that shows the problems with the NEX-7 have been mitigated on the A6000. Yet you choose to test with a first generation 24mp Sony sensor - this can only cloud lens test results, which does your reader's a disservice.

The 55/1.8 has been tested elsewhere and been shown to be one of the best standard "50"s out there and has been around for months, but again, it doesn't seem to be on your radar for testing.
The 55/1.8 is on the radar - in fact it has been offered for testing by a local friendly fellow.

However, I am sorry to say ... you've got to be kidding me - Pentax, Samsung & Nikon user have can complain about the lack of recent tests but not Sony users. The last Nikon test was back in August last year for instance. The last Pentax test was more than two years ago, same goes for Samsung.

As far as my "lack of enthusiasm" is concerned - let's have a look at the longer PRIVATE trips where I took Sony gear:

- Sony A100 for Asia (that was for 6 months)

- Sony A700 to Greece

- Sony A55 to Australia (still from Germany at the time)

- Sony A7r to New Zealand

That alone shows that I am not biased against Sony. Thinking about it - I used Sony gear more often for PRIVATE purposes during the last 10 years than any other system. And, of course, I had the choice.

I will continue to test Sony gear according to the very same standards like other systems. I will, however, reserve my right to avoid sugarcoating - just like with the other systems (e.g. I am frequently criticizing the Fuji lens QC as well). 

And, while we are at it ... I quite like the Sony 70-200/4 and Zeiss 16-70  :ph34r:

Interesting, is it QC again? The 1670 has a really bad repetition. Maybe you got a good sample? Anyway I think it is to expensive for what it does. After Sony putted APS-C in the lower price bracket some lenses are out if proportion price wise. ;-)
Well, the 16-70 shows some corner softness at f/4 for sure but then this isn't surprising.

Will still have to verify the centering. The price is steep, yes. 

Oh Klaus... say, can I buy you a beer?  :mellow:

Wow, I've been waiting the evaluation of sony 16-70 more than half year.

Sorry but with some lenses it is better to wait a couple of months till the manufacturer has sorted out the QC problems ...