Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change of plans (no 100D)
I upgraded from a Canon EOS 450D to an EOS 6D last autumn/winter. I chose a 6D body over a 6D + EF 24-105mm f4 L kit, because the lens is rather heavy for a standard zoom (and I use large aperture primes usually), and getting a 100D + 18-55mm IS STM would be cheaper than the price difference of the kit L-lens (and lighter than the lens too).

I was waiting for the price of the 100D to come down even more, when I came across a pristine looking EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM  for €149. On whim I took it home, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the IQ (especially when using DPP). Not bad for a basement bargain price...

The price for a 100D has remained stable, more or less, and the need for it as "standard zoom" has somewhat been diminished. Another reason for the 100D was to act as APS-C camera for my eccentric and lovely little Ultra Micro NIKKOR 55mm f2. Strictly for close up photography (at around 1:3). I love OVF, but for that application an OVF is not always workable. And I already have a good OVF camera in the 6D.

Then I came across a rather cheap EOS M. It will make a workable solution for my 55mm f2. I decided to order it, and a 22mm f2, and an adapter for EOS lenses, all together for less than 270 euros.

Will I like shooting close up nature stuff with it? Probably. Will I like using it with the 22mm in the compact camera way? Perhaps, time will tell. I also ordered a 10mm extension tube for the 22mm, for close up wide angle stuff.

I thought EOS M was the worse of the mirror less options; why not fuji or nex and use adapter for your lenses ?
Quote:I thought EOS M was the worse of the mirror less options; why not fuji or nex and use adapter for your lenses ?
The EOS M was the slowest in AF, yes. After the firmware update it is very acceptable in that respect. Why the EOS M? It was only 260 euros, with 22mm f2 lens (which is a little pancake gem). The camera gives good output (no NEX corner worries for instance). And my selfmade adapter for the 55mm f2 offers trap focus. The camera has a good on screen UI, and I can use the same RAW processor (DPP).

I won't be able to find a Fuji or a Sony NEX with good 35mm FF equivalent for under 300 euros. The EOS M is not bad little camera. No idea yet if I will like using it, I'll let you know.
At this pricepoint with that pretty good pancake, I think it's an interesting proposition indeed.

Camera came in last week from Germany, and the lens arrived from Hong Kong just before the weekend. So here is the obligatory cat picture, had to borrow a neighbour's cat for that.

[Image: gallery_10230_63_68861.jpg]

In Switzerland, the Fuji X-E1 sells for 400 euros at the moment. How much is it in the Netherlands?

For the price difference, it's very well worth it.

You get an EVF, plus a lineup of fantastic lenses (14, 23, 56 - the perfect trio!)

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:In Switzerland, the Fuji X-E1 sells for 400 euros at the moment. How much is it in the Netherlands?

For the price difference, it's very well worth it.

You get an EVF, plus a lineup of fantastic lenses (14, 23, 56 - the perfect trio!)
The Fuji X-E1 costs around 530 as body (have just looked in my standard dutch online store, probably somewhere else it might be a bit cheaper).

I do not like EVFs much, prefer OVF. So I'd much rather then get the much cheaper still EOS 100D (460 euro including 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM) instead.... It even is more compact. I do not see the well worthness in it, for me.... I have this very nice 6D with good OVF after all.

Size wise, this much cheaper EOS M is much smaller than the X-E1. It is even a tad smaller than the X-M1/A1.

Like I said, I planned on getting a 100D for a particular purpose, next to my 6D. But that purpose seems to be able to get filled by this very nicely built and very cheap EOS M, which seems to be a pretty nice little camera anyway. I only went for it over the 100D for the very low price (under 300 euros for camera, lens, lens adapter, 10mm extension tube!), and that a view finder is not really needed (close to the ground close up stuff). 

I want to use it specifically for my eccentric but lovely UMN 55mm 2, with trap focus. Which I can do with my EOS adapter I made for it myself, on the EOS M, and also probably with the Magic/Tragic Lantern firmware addition.

And then I can use it when I just want a very compact kit with me, with the very small and nice EF-M 22mm f2, a Samyang 8mm f2.8, my EF 35mm f2 and if I really want to my Canon FL 55mm f1.2 or my Nikkor 55mm f1.2. 

I'll let you know my thoughts on this very small EOS M, when the rain has cleared and I have had a chance to shoot a little more with it. For now I am pleasantly surprised about its very good build quality, and the little 22mm.
To illustrate the size differences:

Canon EOS M + 22mm f2

Fujifilm X-E1 + 23mm f1.4

Canon EOS 6D + 50mm f1.8 (about the same size as my 35mm f2, which they do not feature)

http://j.mp/1mNQ0bi

Quote:The Fuji X-E1 costs around 530 as body (have just looked in my standard dutch online store, probably somewhere else it might be a bit cheaper).

I do not like EVFs much, prefer OVF. So I'd much rather then get the much cheaper still EOS 100D (460 euro including 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM) instead.... It even is more compact. I do not see the well worthness in it, for me.... I have this very nice 6D with good OVF after all.

Size wise, this much cheaper EOS M is much smaller than the X-E1. It is even a tad smaller than the X-M1/A1.

Like I said, I planned on getting a 100D for a particular purpose, next to my 6D. But that purpose seems to be able to get filled by this very nicely built and very cheap EOS M, which seems to be a pretty nice little camera anyway. I only went for it over the 100D for the very low price (under 300 euros for camera, lens, lens adapter, 10mm extension tube!), and that a view finder is not really needed (close to the ground close up stuff). 

I want to use it specifically for my eccentric but lovely UMN 55mm 2, with trap focus. Which I can do with my EOS adapter I made for it myself, on the EOS M, and also probably with the Magic/Tragic Lantern firmware addition.

And then I can use it when I just want a very compact kit with me, with the very small and nice EF-M 22mm f2, a Samyang 8mm f2.8, my EF 35mm f2 and if I really want to my Canon FL 55mm f1.2 or my Nikkor 55mm f1.2. I'll let you know my thoughts on this very small EOS M, when the rain has cleared and I have had a chance to shoot a little more with it. For now I am pleasantly surprised about its very good build quality, and the little 22mm.

Ah at 530 euros for the E1, the Canon is indeed a much better deal indeed.

I personally wouldn't consider any camera that doesn't have a VF, but of course, it's only my point of view.

Given your wants and the current gear you already have, it looks like the M is a choice that makes sense, especially value-wise.

This 22mm f/2 seems great as well as the 11-22. Both extremely compact and with good IQ.

Let us know how it fares.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:To illustrate the size differences:

Canon EOS M + 22mm f2

Fujifilm X-E1 + 23mm f1.4

Canon EOS 6D + 50mm f1.8 (about the same size as my 35mm f2, which they do not feature)

http://j.mp/1mNQ0bi

Yes, much smaller.

The Fuji 23mm is quite huge.  Fuji lenses are rather large, mostly because most of them are 1.4. If they were to release their 23, 35 and 56 as f/1.8, I'm sure they could have a pretty compact system.

I just added the Pana GM1 w/ Pana 20mm f/1.7 for good measure:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#491.30,35...0.306,ha,t

Smaller and lighter yet not exactly a 35mm though. That's a very small combo that I'm curious about when I want to have a pocketable (shirt) camera with good IQ.
--Florent

Flickr gallery