Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the point of taking pics if they will end up on damaged media (looking for reliable storage media)
So far, I made it nearly 10 years without RAID. Problem with RAID is, if the controller fails and you don't have a second one  exactly the same type, you're in trouble again.

I keep it simple.

1 external drive on a firewire- connection for instant backups each time after importing photos.

2 external discs and a HD dock for less frequent backups once a week and after that more or less safely stored in a drawer.

I was looking on that 4 bay drive, too. I don't think I'll get one: drives should always be formatted in that bay, I'm afraid you can't put drives in without formatting them. You can't dismount a single HD, always the complete 4 HD bay and that seems unnecessary to me. Also, I'm suspicious: A single dock with FW800, S-ATA and USB 3 costs 65% of the 4 bay dock which is only USB 3. To me it appears too cheap to be good, but I can be wrong.

By the way , Toni-A: One backup is not enough. HDs will fail. It's not the question "if they fail", only question is "when". Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Messages In This Thread
What's the point of taking pics if they will end up on damaged media (looking for reliable storage media) - by JJ_SO - 04-28-2014, 05:46 AM