Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the point of taking pics if they will end up on damaged media (looking for reliable storage media)
Quote:As mentioned before - just get a RAID drive (Minimum RAID 5, better RAID 1).

A single drive failure will not be an issue anymore then.

RAID 5 can recover a single drive failure although it requires a certain intelligence in the drive controller.

RAID 1 is mirroring - which is simple (simple is always beautiful).

Admittedly I also have just RAID 5 though. :-)

RAID 6 addresses the lack of reliability of RAID 5 by allowing up to 2 HD failures out of 4 disks.

Quote:There are sophisticated solutions such as ROBO (I have one) but honestly I think this is nonsense. Go for a solution that suits your needs for 3 years and then buy a new one (and then migrate all your data).

"Upgradable" drives such as the DROBO just get outdated over the years.

The problem with DROBO is that they use their own RAID-like format which is closed. Although it seems all nice and great from their website presentations, if the hardware fails and it's out of production or not repairable, then you might be out of luck: nothing will be able to read your data back since the format is unkown. This is not the case with traditional RAID solutions.
--Florent

Flickr gallery

Messages In This Thread
What's the point of taking pics if they will end up on damaged media (looking for reliable storage media) - by thxbb12 - 04-28-2014, 11:32 AM