Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lousy NEX-7 sensor
The LWPH figures results for some lenses (e.g. 18-55) in border and corner are better for 14 mp NEX -5 than for NEX-7 at most apertures. On dxomark, many lenses (e.g. sel20, sigma 30DN)  that are tested on both A3000 (which is 20mpx) and the 7  have usually 1 mpx SCORE in A3000 advantage. It looks like NEX-7 AA filter is too thick and makes lenses look worse than they are. Now, when there are new 20 mp and 24 mp sensors, would be nice to have lenses re-tested on them.

I was under the impression that the A6000 with a new 24 MP sensor scored one point better than the Nex 7. Now that doesn't mean that Sony hasn't cleaned up its act on weaknesses in the previous 24 MP sensor.

I would think there is too much to do in real world 2014 to worry about what is past. People will either buy the lenses previously tested or they will not. They may go on owner recommendations or looking at posts taken with the lenses or whatever. The CZ 16-80 A mount has its moments but is far better than the bollocking it originally received from "testers" using lowish quality JPEG where the problem was as much to do with exposure as the original software.

There is no indication that the sensor situation has changed. Otherwise the Sony marketing would have made more corresponding noise.

DXO  sensor test said that compare withe NEX7,   A6000 has great improve on SNR , and has nearly the same on Dynamic range and color depth.

There are some postings with M-Mount lenses that the color cast problem is much better or gone. But the color response is not that good anymore. So they changed maybe the CFA to get better noise results. Actually that is a common trick because many user look more at noise than at color separation.
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.de/2014/04/s...r.html?m=1
Hi Klaus:

I'm wondering if the A7R compared to the A7 might be similar to the NEX7 compared to the NEX5.  Although the center performance of the NEX7 was quite good, the corner performance was often significantly worse than the much lower resolution NEX5.  Do you think there might be a similar effect on the A7R vs A7?  I'm looking for something to justify the new FE 24-70 and was hoping the A7 would trade some center resolution for a bit of extra corner resolution.

Quote:Hi Klaus:

I'm wondering if the A7R compared to the A7 might be similar to the NEX7 compared to the NEX5.  Although the center performance of the NEX7 was quite good, the corner performance was often significantly worse than the much lower resolution NEX5.  Do you think there might be a similar effect on the A7R vs A7?  I'm looking for something to justify the new FE 24-70 and was hoping the A7 would trade some center resolution for a bit of extra corner resolution.

Difficult.

The A7 has a "thicker" AA filter so there's more potential for "disturbance" in terms of the light path.

I do not know whether the A7 has a very different sensor (other than the different MPs).

Based on what I have seen the A7 is also sharp, so if I was in this specific market, I would probably go for the A7 rather than the A7R just to get phase detection AF (plus a more forgiving sensor).

That being said ... till Sony has solved the shutter vibration issue I would avoid the system altogether.

I really enjoyed the A7R down there in New Zealand but facing those visibly less-than-optimal results due to shutter blur was not so funny. Of course, you may argue that the shutter is just a new AA filter strategy but ... hey ...
The A7 has a electronic first shutter. So shutter shake should be not that important
Incredibly bad advice, Klaus.

There is certainly no shutter vibration issue with the A7 because it has electronic first curtain.

There might be good reason to avoid the A7R if one is unwilling to work around its issues, but there is zero reason to avoid the entire system when the A7 is in existence. Perhaps the Sony badge is prejudicing your judgement.