Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma A 50 mm f/1.4 DG HSM tested at lenstip
Quote:*rhetoric question* Do you have evidence for that, Studor13? The whole Nikon reaction to the oil spots on D600 sensors smells as if a bunch of fools was acting.  Huh I like Nikon cameras but their image as a brand could easily be improved.

If you went to a place like Nikon Rumors you would swear that every man and dog on earth used high-end DSLRs.

Well, I went to Asia last year and guess what? I saw only one (a westerner fool with a D4) running around Angkor Wat and the like. Everyone else were using small cameras. And believe me, there were literally thousands upon thousands as a cross section sample to make a comparison as to what the average person uses.

Similarly, you would think that everyone who had a D600 had this oil problem. I don't personally know anyone who had this problem. Do you?

Going back to the 58mm lens, I have the 50mm f/1.8 AIS, AF, AFS and the AFS f/1.4. They all perform as expected. Now, how do you suppose that Nikon could get away with charging 1500+ for the 58mm if they themselves didn't truly believed that there was something special about it?

Personally, I think that only fools get bogged down with apparent differences in equipment.
Quote:If you went to a place like Nikon Rumors you would swear that every man and dog on earth used high-end DSLRs.
A  lot of people at NR are enjoying a big enough bank account - and also old enough to spend their money for expensive gear, but I don't get what you want to say with that sentence? I mean, after all it's their money, isn't it?

Quote:Well, I went to Asia last year and guess what? I saw only one (a westerner fool with a D4) running around Angkor Wat and the like. Everyone else were using small cameras. And believe me, there were literally thousands upon thousands as a cross section sample to make a comparison as to what the average person uses.
Depends on the places you look at and also on the safety someone feels - I thought more than twice to take a big D800 to a cycle trip in Lithuania and Russia, but what's the point of having a nice camera and take a point and shoot to holidays? Again, one can get great pictures with a small camera, too. And how much people do come to your place in Slovenia with small gear or with bigger stuff?

Quote:Similarly, you would think that everyone who had a D600 had this oil problem. I don't personally know anyone who had this problem. Do you?
Not everyone discovered the problem and it got better - but what are you thinking is the reason for a D610? When the shutter of that version is not interchangeable with a D600 shutter? Yes I do know people with those oil/dust spot problems, but even if I don't I see in lensrentals a very trustworthy site - and they got a huge batch of bodies which passed Nikon's quality control with no reason.

My first D800 had the left focus problem, which concerned me and took them quite a while until they exchanged the body.

On the other side, Nikon's FX cameras are comparatively cheap against Canon and not the only reason is lack of quality control. I don't expect them to deliver 100% failure free gear - but they just shouldn't deny there's a problem.

Quote:Going back to the 58mm lens, I have the 50mm f/1.8 AIS, AF, AFS and the AFS f/1.4. They all perform as expected. Now, how do you suppose that Nikon could get away with charging 1500+ for the 58mm if they themselves didn't truly believed that there was something special about it?
I wonder if they got away - on NR there's a big discussion 58 vs Sigma vs Otus.

See - if you like - here or here for the Sigma discussion in all this posts is a lot of hot air ("Probably I would buy it, if only.... [insert whatever you like]") but also good information.

And not many of the wealthy forum members said, "I pulled the trigger on the 58", a lot are waiting until Sigma becomes available. Also, I don't get the point you're about to point out: A soft lens at a high price for those who are only looking for excellent color rendering? Do I need 36MP for that? Do I pay 79% more for the soft Nikkor 58mm? I just don't see a reason for this extremely high price. Funny thing is, I do see good reasons for the Otus price but the Nikon price is beyond my comprehension. Maybe making the most expensive 50-58mm lens in relation to it's performance?

Quote:Personally, I think that only fools get bogged down with apparent differences in equipment.
I don't understand that sentence (no native speaker)

Quote:I don't understand that sentence (no native speaker)

To be bogged down means to be stuck (as in being bogged down in the mud). It means people spend more time discussing gear than getting out and using it.

Apparent differences in equipment means that essentially there is very little difference between one piece of equipment and another one. For example, a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and a Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens.

You just get bogged down discussing who is better than whom.
Ah, now I understood. Thank you.

Sometimes discussions are necessary to understand what's all about. After all, we're using a forum of lens testers. One could easily say, those guys should use their time to take more pictures. I've read that a bit too often "don't talk, go out and take pictures" or something similar and most of the time I had the feeling those posters would like to end a discussion which went against their convincements.

It's also good to be aware all that fancy stuff will never be better than the person using it. But I must say, sometimes I like the feeling not my gear is my limit, but me. And since I'm no full time photographer that will remain true for a long time.
Great lens! Went yesterday for a hike, had the lens since one day, here are some results

Although I don't really understand for what the "continuous manual focus mode" is meant to be - one can customize that feature by using the dock - it was great right out of the box. I did some focus tests, but setting AF adjustment to +1 is ridiculous. Fast focus and as an extra bit only 40cm minimum focus distance: I never got butterflies with a standard lens so easily before.

The amount of detail amazes me. And it's only D800. I wonder what a D800E or it successor can resolve with this extraordinary glass.