Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4 OSS samples
Ok, the analysis is done. Tomorrow (Saturday) will be the day.

And it is not as good as the 24-70mm DSLR lenses. 

That's already obvious when looking into the already provided sample images.

Not as good as the 27-70mm f4 L IS USM from Canon then either?

Klaus, from what you are saying, i wonder if there will be anything good about this lens!

Not as good as the 27-70mm f4 L IS USM from Canon then either?

It would be surprising if was as good as the Canon f4 given that's 200g more and (more significantly) has a larger diameter. (assuming that Canon and Zony are about equally good at designing things with the current tech)

And it isn't: if DXO are to be believed, it performs on 24MP similarly to how the FE performs on 36.

But I don't want those extra grams on my bushwalking lens! The Zony is already at my upper limit for those purposes.

(but then I cut the ends of my toothbrush for multi day walks)
SLRgear have just posted their reiew, which is in line with Klaus' presentiments of doom.

Comparing their charts (Not that I really know what their 'blur units' mean) between this and the Nikon 24-70 mean that there is no comparison. So what's up with DXO's field sharpness charts, which showed them as comparable?

Still it's serviceable for the size! But I can see that there is a reason to go with a smaller format for some purposes, where a sharp lens can be a lot smaller and lighter for a price in sensor quality and bokeh. But I really don't want to run two systems...