Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back from vacation (New Zealand)
Quote:This is in so far a bit surprising because Zeiss used an extended design (essentially an empty tube at the rear) in order to increase the distance to the sensor (thus mimicking a SLR lens).

I am confused. I remeber that I read somewhere which says that Fuji designed its cameras with a very short flange focal distance to get better performance in image corners.
Quote:I am confused. I remeber that I read somewhere which says that Fuji designed its cameras with a very short flange focal distance to get better performance in image corners.

Technically this is correct but it seems to be a very challenging task on the design side. More so if you want to keep the lens size and weight to a sane level.
Quote:Well, I was pretty happy with the compromises for hiking purposes. But yes, the primes are nice.

One thing I noticed was that the corner softness was mitigated, bizarrely, by distortion correction! Why? well it seems that the FL is quite a bit wider than 24 mm before correction, and when corrected a lot of the original corners are cut off. Perhaps the most extreme bit of corner is as bad, but the zone of bad is smaller. Of course this does mean that you are losing some valuable pixels to cropping when the (HUGE) original distortion is removed.

On another matter, do you have a 55 1.8 for testing? I live in Sydney (near Sydney Uni where I teach)  (and Bundanoon) and could part with mine for a little...

I don't have the 55/1.8 so if you can provide it for testing that would be highly appreciated.

However, I am pretty much booked out for the next two months.

May I contact you once I can see the light again ?
And what do you think of the X-t1 ?

Quote:I don't have the 55/1.8 so if you can provide it for testing that would be highly appreciated.

However, I am pretty much booked out for the next two months.

May I contact you once I can see the light again ?
No worries!