Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA
As MTF is always looking at the combination of a given sensor and lens, you just can't say the size of the vertical scale says nothing about the lens because this scale is not only sensor resolution but a recorded resolution of lens and sensor which were placed in front of a pattern. And the Sony combination gives more details about that pattern than the (in that case) Canon combination. At lensrentals, that Sony A7R and 35/2.8 had a bigger resolution than a D800E with 35/1.4 or Zeiss 50/2. They redid the test because at first they didn't believe it was max aperture and thought they made a mistake. Source to be find here

I do not mind if a given resolution of lens and sensor is 80% of a chart and another combination is 95% of another, smaller chart, if at the end of the day that means the 80 % will give much more resolution in absolute terms. We're not talking about 3 or 5% - in total there is a difference of 20% more LW/PH (4252 against 3512). Sensor sizes are about the same.

But as I said, I'm no Sony expert. And also, I don't care about "resolution over everything else". Matter of fact, since I saw some prints of those Sigma Merrill cameras with the Foveon sensor, I want to rent one and make my own comparison. Also, what good is the superresolution of one lens if the rest of the system is questionable in terms of reliabilty or (in the Sony case) big shutter vibration. Again, I only read about. 

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA - by JJ_SO - 02-12-2014, 06:49 AM