Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 HSM DG OS | A
Quote:Yeah, right. I forgot to point this ount (done).

Theoretically this could be fixed via the dock but whether it is possible in practical terms - no idea.

As this is a lens for Canon and Nikon, and I do use the dock, I only can say with the current software the focus shift can't be corrected. To be honest, I would prefer not to add another parameter into the AF fine adjustment, as there are already 16 for a zoom and some more for the 120-300/2.8. At least, it's necessary to nail the focus at each aperture and if the focus point moves a bit but is staying in the DOF - who cares in real life? And would that person pay the money for a focus shift free zoom?

As for Mono-Cam vs Duo-Cam design: I'd hesitate to make a judgement about that unless I see the mechanical construction underneath. I will have an open eye for teardown-reports. I'm also a bit skeptical how the Canon design avoids raindrops coming into the lens. Maybe they do it with a seal like Olympus does, but then this seal needs to be replaced regularly. Best in this aspect would be a zoom with no variation of length.
Focus shift can be a deal breaker for me. Based on those images, it isn't really entirely in the DoF. I guess you could argue at further out distances the DoF may increase to cover it, but I don't know that for sure.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
No, I don't like to argue upon a lens I've only seen and not tried myself. You're right, after a second look I'd be better more careful with "real-life prognosis". And after all, I'd like to use this lens at close distances, too. Without troubles preferrably. And without thinking "on which aperture I adjusted the lens for that distance?"

Dear Klaus, first of all thanks for the review!

The soft corners at wide angle were indeed already noticable in your preview sample shots.. 

From this moment on I more or less knew that it will be a fine lens but not a gamechanger.

I was kind of undecided between the Tamron 24-70 and this one as my next purchase. Field of use: All purpose travel lens.

At first I fancied the Sigma more. It is simply more exciting and "attractive", also the zoom range is bigger and some comments about a big variance in quality at Tamron (Quality Control) irritates me..

Otherwise, the max aperture is a secondary argument when you travel and shoot outdoors, but on the one hand the Sigma is really not "travel size" and on the other hand, you don't lose so much "zoom capabilities" when you can only can zoom to 70 instead of 105...

A Video on youtube confirmed me regarding the last statement:A Canon 24-105L (which should be more or less the same league as the sigma) was compared to the Tamron 24-70 and a Tamron 70mm image was cropped-to-be 105mm and upscaled and compared to the Canon.. and still the upscaled Tamron appears sharper.

I don't know whether it is allowed to post links here, so just check youtube for the video "

Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 vs. Canon 24-105 f/4 review: Canon walking around lens shootout!"    
So it seems, specifications isn't everything. Whenever you buy a zoom lens, you have to find a compromise, and when your budget is below 1000 Euros, I guess there is no way around the Tamron now... 

Paul1980, to which sample shots you're referring?

In some of the 24 wide open it might be the DOF just not enough. So I wondered where you saw soft corners? And, while taking a look at those wide open wide angle shots, I must admit I was amazed by their center sharpness.

Some typo in the review "In Canon land, it is obviously targeting the (rathe Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 USM L IS ..."

Quote:Paul1980, to which sample shots you're referring?

In some of the 24 wide open it might be the DOF just not enough. So I wondered where you saw soft corners? And, while taking a look at those wide open wide angle shots, I must admit I was amazed by their center sharpness.
http://photozone.smugmug.com/Reviews/Sig...b&lb=1&s=O i think this photo gave me "the hint". the sharpness decreases suddenly and significantly in the extreme corners. CAs

on the one hand, i am totally spoilt by the samyang 14mm corner performance, on the other hand i dont think the sigma's corner performance will beat the one of the 24-105L which i had in my hands for some weeks..
Aperture was f/7 and I don't think DOF was wide enough for those corners. CA is visible, right - and I could show some pictures of a Nikon 24-85 (the "kit-lens" for D600) which are at the same aperture and focal length worse with a very nervous bokeh. I see the lens is not a superduper one, but my alternatives on Nikon aren't superduper, either.

Except I carry on, say, 5 fast primes and don't mind changing lens... Anyway, thanks for sharing the link. To me the overall impression remains good enough. I don't think it's fair top expect at this cost level a performance of primes. But that's just me.

Quote:Aperture was f/7 and I don't think DOF was wide enough for those corners. CA is visible, right - and I could show some pictures of a Nikon 24-85 (the "kit-lens" for D600) which are at the same aperture and focal length worse with a very nervous bokeh. I see the lens is not a superduper one, but my alternatives on Nikon aren't superduper, either.

Except I carry on, say, 5 fast primes and don't mind changing lens... Anyway, thanks for sharing the link. To me the overall impression remains good enough. I don't think it's fair top expect at this cost level a performance of primes. But that's just me.

Hi JoJu,

Aperture was f11 according to EXIF.

Of course i don't expect tack sharp corners on a zoom lens, but since i know that i will use a zoom lens in the wide angle area mostly, i am a bit sensitive regarding corner IQ Wink
You're right, of course. Because I didn't knew how to show EXIF, I downloaded the picture and looked at the "aperture" value in Apple preview - that said something like "Blendenöffnungswert: 6.996502", so I misinterpreted that weird number into f/7 - my bad.