Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 HSM DG OS | A
Quote:You're right, of course. Because I didn't knew how to show EXIF, I downloaded the picture and looked at the "aperture" value in Apple preview - that said something like "Blendenöffnungswert: 6.996502", so I misinterpreted that weird number into f/7 - my bad.
Macht ja nix Smile Viele Grüße
It's lustig, how Germans reden in English, ist es nicht?  Big Grin

According to common prejudices, I thought Germans weren't lustig at all. At least not on purpose Wink

Back to topic: received the lens with F-mount yesterday. What a brick!

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

For such type (versatile middle zoom) lenses, I prefer more to a lens like the Nikkor AF-D 28-105mm F3.5-4.5. Nice focal range, macro, good IQ, and light.

Got  mine today. So far I like it and find it better than the 24-85 Nikkor I had before.

One thing is: My D800 confuses it with the 105/2.8 Micro Nikkor and uses the AF adjustment of that lens. In the EXIF is shown the correct data so I'm wondering what's going on? I'm not intending to switch of AF fine tune.

The pictures in today's light - a bit misty and clouds - look pretty sharp and good. I like the closeup distance of 0.45m down to 105mm and the nicely rendered structures. It's less affected to front light than the faster Sigmas are.

[Image: i-2Qmsfnr-L.jpg]

[Image: i-QjPM5KV-L.jpg]

[Image: i-vhgz3pV-L.jpg]

Quote:Got  mine today. So far I like it and find it better than the 24-85 Nikkor I had before.

One thing is: My D800 confuses it with the 105/2.8 Micro Nikkor and uses the AF adjustment of that lens. In the EXIF is shown the correct data so I'm wondering what's going on? I'm not intending to switch of AF fine tune.

I read once somewhere, that the third party lenses have to fake being a Nikon (Canon... etc.) lens, and pretend to be some existing Nikon lens so that things work. The actual lens data is still being read then from the lens correctly though. I presume there is something like a lens database in each body that checks if a valid lens is mounted, in order to initiate communication protocols. Once communication is established, the body can read all lens parameters from the lens firmware, and apparently doesn't double check. I guess if Nikon/Canon etc. wanted to be nasty, they could do that and prevent the lens from working, although they might have some anti-competitive lawsuit coming then.

Anyway, it seems you encountered an interesting point now with MFA that is lens-tied. If one is unlucky, a third party lens someone is using has the same ID as a OEM lens they are using, and since the body doesn't know that it's a different lens, applies the MFA...  I guess that's a caveat for using third party lenses, if you use MFA. 

Presumably the Micro Nikkor here was chosen because it's a less common lens that 24- xx zooms.
And I "heard once" Sigma is manufacturing Nikon OEM lenses and Tokina makes Canon lenses. Where' smoke there is or was fire but I have not that insight into those factory deals where competitors turn out to be colleagues.

Anyway, I could use the Sigma adjustment, but then it's only for this camera. For D800 / D7000 / D7100 I set camera AFA values of -10 / -4 / +2. Funny thing is, D7100 recognizes a "24-105 F4” but is pairing it to the lens number of the 105/2.8. If I delete the AFA setting for the 105 in my D800 and mount the Sigma to it, this body also recognizes "24-105 F4”. Until I mount the 105, than both lenses are treated like one.

Weird.

The other two Sigmas of my lens stock are recognized without probs, but I don't own a Nikon 35/1.4 or 18-35/1.8 from Nikon. At the moment my explanation remains as "kind of firmware bug".
Quote:I read once somewhere, that the third party lenses have to fake being a Nikon (Canon... etc.) lens, and pretend to be some existing Nikon lens so that things work. The actual lens data is still being read then from the lens correctly though. I presume there is something like a lens database in each body that checks if a valid lens is mounted, in order to initiate communication protocols. Once communication is established, the body can read all lens parameters from the lens firmware, and apparently doesn't double check. I guess if Nikon/Canon etc. wanted to be nasty, they could do that and prevent the lens from working, although they might have some anti-competitive lawsuit coming then.

Anyway, it seems you encountered an interesting point now with MFA that is lens-tied. If one is unlucky, a third party lens someone is using has the same ID as a OEM lens they are using, and since the body doesn't know that it's a different lens, applies the MFA...  I guess that's a caveat for using third party lenses, if you use MFA. 

Presumably the Micro Nikkor here was chosen because it's a less common lens that 24- xx zooms.
I've heard this as well, but if that had been exactly the case, how come older bodies work flawlessly with newer (original) lenses? For example, my 16-35 II was released way after my 1D Mark II N body, but works all right (mind you, there seems to be no lens designation written down in EXIF while every other Canon lens I own is recorded (70-200/2.8 IS, 24-85, 50...) 
Quote:And I "heard once" Sigma is manufacturing Nikon OEM lenses
That is not true though. Tamron had some involvement in the past with one or two lenses.

Quote:and Tokina makes Canon lenses.
That is an even sillier "rumor". Tokina makes some Pentax lenses. Parent company Hoya is a big optical glass manufacturer, they might supply some raw materials to Nikon and Canon, but Nikon and Canon make their own glass in different formulations too.

Quote:Where' smoke there is or was fire but I have not that insight into those factory deals where competitors turn out to be colleagues.

Anyway, I could use the Sigma adjustment, but then it's only for this camera. For D800 / D7000 / D7100 I set camera AFA values of -10 / -4 / +2. Funny thing is, D7100 recognizes a "24-105 F4” but is pairing it to the lens number of the 105/2.8. If I delete the AFA setting for the 105 in my D800 and mount the Sigma to it, this body also recognizes "24-105 F4”. Until I mount the 105, than both lenses are treated like one.

Weird.

The other two Sigmas of my lens stock are recognized without probs, but I don't own a Nikon 35/1.4 or 18-35/1.8 from Nikon. At the moment my explanation remains as "kind of firmware bug".
"Involvement with one or two lenses" doesn't make a rumor untrue - it remains a rumor, though. And the other thing to judge as "sillier" - is that necessary? Neither you nor me can prove such rumors as wrong or right or just misunderstood information.

Sigma employs around 1000 persons, Nikon 24.000 + 5500 "non-consolidated" in rough numbers. Those numbers alone bring enough doubts into that rumor, but of course, Nikon is also involved in other optical projects and makes a lot more cameras than Sigma in aspects of various types and output quantities. Just to point that out: I do not care, who is manufacturing a good, reliable, sharp lens with a nice bokeh for my camera, if it matches the camera. There's no "pure" Nikon, shutters are from Copal and sensors from Sony or Aptic or Aptia, I even don't recall that name. And there's no proof that 100% "own stuff" makes a better system.

As well as the rumor "Nikon wants to make life for third party lenses difficult" - there are two sides of this medal. As a camera manufacturer I would not feel an obligation to help my competition, especially not the ones making partly better lenses than my own company.

Anyway, I keep in mind, this is the Canon department of the PZ forum. I was just searching Markus' comment about "the brick" and didn't look carefully enough. For further observations with my Nikon version I'll wait until he finishes his test.