Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some SEL1670Z samples
Ok, so taking advantage of a good discount, I bought one copy of the infamous beast one week ago. I've done some quick tests near home (not yet the brick wall test... don't laugh, but it seems quite hard for me to find a good one - anyway I was careful to have in-focus details on at least one border, sometimes both).

The samples are here, and you should see a 1:1 loupe on them for pixel peeping (alternatively, there's a download link for the full-size image). Photos were post-processed (and lens-corrected and sharpened) according to my usual workflow (details in the post). 

I'll take the whole month (weather allowing) to complete my personal evaluation of this lens. It's likely a keeper because it looks better than the Nikkor lens it has to replace; but so far I agree with people saying it's definitely overpriced given the border performance (my copy, anyway, looks definitely better than many samples seen around).

If you have time, I'd like to read your thoughts.

PS My website has been designed for just a few friends and occasional visitors, I don't know how the server will behave with more people coming in. Please forgive any inconvenience.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Good test scenes but all taken at f/8.

Centering issues will be most obvious at max. aperture.

In this round I wanted to test the typical shots I take. As soon as I find the brick wall, I'll test also the wider focals. 

Thanks.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
I think if you are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place without perfect brick walls then you don't need the kind of lenses that excel at perfect brick wall photography!

I think your scenes are quite fine for this purpose. "Infinity" is also a plane :-)