Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CamRanger and other remote control stuff
I'm just starting this thread because I'm curious to learn about other possibilities to remote control with LiveView and possibly camera movement.

In first place, I don't own a laptop. I found the too heavy and not powerful enough for "normal" photo-editing. And if they are powerful, they come at a high price with high risk of destruction or getting stolen. So, for my needs of using a mobile device I decided an iPad will do as well. And it is doing what I want for over 3 years now.

Sometimes it would be cool to have a bigger screen for LiveView. And also a display which can be used in different angles - my main reason to get a D5100. But since no camera manufacturer does come up with the idea of a detachable display, I was looking for something else and got me a year ago a CamRanger. It has it's flaws, some or softwarebased, others depending on hardware (it works better with Canon, I think), and others depending on the concept itself: WiFi, yes, but connection to camera must be made with cable.

And if it gets a motorized head like the last CamRanger development, it's soon appearing like a overloaded christmas tree. 3 cables, two extra devices plus body, plus Smartphone or tablet or even a laptop. These days the functionality of CamRanger improved a lot and I'm quite happy the developers keep on working to build in new features.

I know of one other motorized head for DSLR (not talking about professional cinema gear) which is Gitzo Athena and costing 18 CamRanger+Tripod head sets. And it seems even Gitzo gave it up because I don't find it on their website. Only 2 years after it's announcement a dead project.

So, does anybody know about other solutions of wireless tethered shooting with camera movements? I know as well there are some very special Nikon solutions. Trouble is, Nikon is hooked very much to Android, so there small WiFi adapters WU-1a or b are only for newer bodies and don't allow changing aperture and other values. Also, there's no iPad or tablet version of the software. And the other devices are simply more expensive and again only for laptops.