Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7r ... shutter
I am starting to believe that the shutter injects rather massive vibrations into the system ...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/the-shutt...ph-holmes/

or

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/a7r-shutt...ccollough/

:-)

merry xmas

Come to think of it, that new "shutter vibration" trend on various mirrorless cameras is rather painful...

I can see the effect (in Imatest) even though the camera was mounted on a heavy tripod.

Which is all why I love the GH3 (electronic shutter).

I've just read Sylvain's link (thanks) and    Yes, oh dear, when I heard the shutter sound on utube I did think how loud and clunky it sounded, it was criticized  because the camera is ideal otherwise for street photography.

In fact it's a hell of a shame because the camera is a revolutionary design shoehorning a FF sensor into a small body and using a high quality electronic viewfinder, it's what a lot of folk have been waiting for. The guy in the link suggested an electronic shutter firmware update, but it would be better that Sony redesigned the shutter to work much more smoothly.  

Big pity that and obviously it won't help  when it's a question of  lens testing!

The sensor lacks the electronic shutter so a firmware update will not help there...

What a firmware update can do, is to build a pause option between ending live view (shutter closes) and the start of the image (shutter opens). Kinda like mirror lock up. This then will cut the shutter induced vibration in half.

Adding weight may help, as may mooting both the lens and the camera on a tripod. But the latter only may be viable on longer lenses with tripod mounts.

As a street shooter camera, the vibration should not be a problem. But for tripod mounted stuff it might be.

Yea em5 and em1 (olympus) have something called shutter shock where you can add a delay between 1/8 and somethign seconds to help with shutter shock. I am a bit confused about thy this is happening. Myabe it is not as bad of a dslr but we notice it now or maybe the lighter camera cannot absorb the shock. Still I think in a few year(s) electronic shutters will replace the traditional focal plane but maybe there is some technical limitations I do not understand (I know there are issues with the current implementations mostly related to flash but also i think i read there were limits on max/min shutter length but I don't know if these are just implementation details or real technical barriers).

Quote:Yea em5 and em1 (olympus) have something called shutter shock where you can add a delay between 1/8 and somethign seconds to help with shutter shock. I am a bit confused about thy this is happening. Myabe it is not as bad of a dslr but we notice it now or maybe the lighter camera cannot absorb the shock. Still I think in a few year(s) electronic shutters will replace the traditional focal plane but maybe there is some technical limitations I do not understand (I know there are issues with the current implementations mostly related to flash but also i think i read there were limits on max/min shutter length but I don't know if these are just implementation details or real technical barriers).
The Olympuses have IBIS, which may be a cause of the lighter vibration showing up, I understood. So not exactly the same as the A7r case?
You can turn off IBIS and I think the same thing happens. IBIS might play a role (shock is impacting IBIS mechanics; I'm not sure) but in the end my understanding is the vibration created by the shutter so must be similar to some degree.

Quote:The Olympuses have IBIS, which may be a cause of the lighter vibration showing up, I understood. So not exactly the same as the A7r case?