Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensor Cleaning
Interesting topic! I had the K-5, which was cleaned once, free of charge, by Pentax, and then was replaced, and then sold, and then I got a D600, and now I did really need to learn to do it myself (yeah, it has been once to Nikon, free of charge), so I use a blower, and a static brush, and it works fairly well.

On MILC, like my NEX, I have even done wet wipes, a much simpler operation without the deep mirror box to complicate things ;-)!

Quote:I think, if the razor blade is not layered with Teflon, I would ruin the whole expensive thing.

And if I were in America, I would just get the cash back by threatening them a lawsuit.

[Image: 01_C1_Jan%2013%202014_C1__DSC6057-L.jpg]

Although it's sort of cheap illustration, it's a complete lie as it shows clearly something very different.

The question is, if one really should buy a cleaning set from somebody who misspells "cleaning" Smile)
I thought Nikon will change the shooter module and clean D600 for free, even it is out of warranty.

Quote:I thought Nikon will change the shooter module and clean D600 for free, even it is out of warranty.

according to what DPreview wrote, yes
I have used digital cameras since 2004 and have shot nearly one million wedding photos. I rearly have to get my cameras cleaned professionally.

I use the Arctic Butterfly and a lot of Isopropyl Alcohol.

The trick is to always clean you brush really well, and be car full to only wipe the sensor and not to touch anything else with the brush as you can get grease on the edges of the brush.

My website: http://www.creekstreet.com.au/

The topic of sensor cleaning has a great deal of mystery attached to it, most of it to do with paranoia.

I bought the Reidl wet clean sensor kit on line. It contains paddle swabs (you order the kit for your sensor size APSc/FF/ M4/3rds) and a bottle cleaning liquid (refined alcohol)  and some lens cleaning cloth in a nice woven nylon case. Refill kits are also available., ten paddles and fluid.

It's a two minute job to pass the paddle whetted with two drops of fluid across the sensor two or three times, then I check visually with +4 reading glasses to check for specs. Theoretically you use the paddles once only, but I have used them many times each.

Reading your posts makes me think that I have been lucky in my choice of kit as I have never had any problems, BTW.the fluid is there to ensure the dust sticks to the paddle, however the oil problem with certain sensors could require several attempts to remove all traces of it, thankfully Pentax has not had this problem! 

Sending a camera away to have the sensor cleaned each time there are a few specks of dust seems ludicrous for a task that takes a few minutes. The kit is even with me when I'm out on a shoot.