The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikkor-S•C 55mm f1.2 versus Canon FL 55mm f1.2
I want a fast standard prime for my 6D, for low light street shooting, shallow DOF photography and for other uses like portraits. My dream lenses for this would be the Canon EF 50mm f1.0 L USM and Noct-Nikkor 58mm f1.2 Ai-S. But both lenses are really rather unaffordable...

Then there is the Canon EF 50mm f1.2 L USM, but it is also not the most affordable lens at €1500 or so new.

So I have bought two old lenses, to see how they can fulfil the role of fast standard prime. 

Both are very similar. They originate from the mid 1960's, and have an identical (more or less) design.

The Nikkor 55mm f1.2:

[Image: nico_50mmf12Non_AI_optic.gif]

The Canon FL 55mm f1.2:

[Image: fl55mmf12optic.gif]

Both have 7 elements in 5 groups, in identical configuration. 

Nikkor

Weight: 420 grams

Size (length x width): 58.3 x 73.5mm

Aperture: 7 blades

Filter size: 52mm

MFD: 0.6m 

Canon:

Weight: 480 grams

Size (length x width): 67 x 52.5mm

Aperture: 8 blades, slightly rounded at bigger apertures

Filter size: 58mm

MFD: slightly less than 0.6m 

Even though the Canon has a bigger filter size, the two lenses have an identical front element diameter (and identical back element diameter)

The Nikon needs a Nikon F-mount to EOS adapter, the Canon needs an FL to EOS mount conversion. At a certain distance towards infinity, the mirror can't completely open with the Canon FL lens, because the back element will protrude too far. For such cases I need to shoot in live view. Or get a darker vignetting on the bottom or side of the image.

I am going to test these two lenses side by side, to see which one I like most (worst case will be when I like them both for different things...).

Opinions, suggestions, advice, tips, remarks, all are very welcome of course...

Messages In This Thread
Nikkor-S•C 55mm f1.2 versus Canon FL 55mm f1.2 - by Brightcolours - 12-12-2013, 10:43 AM