Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, so the A7r arrived in the lab
Quote:First impression.....not organic....The thing that is as expensive as Gold-pressed (p)Latinum (aka the Zeiss lens) feels just like any Sony NEX lens.....
....nice to keep the feel and, ahem, quality across the sony range....comparatively speaking....:-)

Quote:How does the viewfinder compare to the xe-2 (not 1) or olympus m1 ?

-

(edit: i see you already answered the question abuot shutter; kind of a pity as silent shutters are nice)

I suppose some point in the future you will compare the a7/a7r with wide angle range finder lenses (I hear the a7 is better than the a7r)

Send me a XE-2 and a E-M to compare.  Wink

Quote:Send me a XE-2 and a E-M to compare.  Wink

I recommend you don't try the E-M1 otherwise your wallet will regret it ;-)

More seriously, I now have fully switched from FF to MFT and can't be happier.  The E-M1 is a fantastic camera in almost all regards  (provided you change the default settings and get over Oly's retarded auto ISO implementation).
--Florent

Flickr gallery
BC, correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC OVF focusing screens don't actually give you actual DOF ?

Quote:What matters is how the camera shows the scene. I prefer my camera to show the scene like it is, so I can do my own creative decisions based on what one sees. An EVF shows the scene based on the decisions of the camera manufacturer. 

OVF gives the exposure in the metering bar. Over/under exposure is for the photographer to determine.

Huh? My OVF gives excellent DOF preview, and the 3D quality an EVF never gives...

My OVF gives me the scene as it is. An EVF shows the scene interpretation of the camera. Not good for a creative person.

The A7r seems to do just fine with shutter induced vibrations (if one goes by some early user accounts). As do some  MFT cameras with shutter induced vibrations linked with the IBIS. 

Now my handheld photography of course never is hindered by mirror slap. If I do things on a tripod, yes, indeed there is never a problem with mirror lock up...
Quote:I recommend you don't try the E-M1 otherwise your wallet will regret it ;-)

More seriously, I now have fully switched from FF to MFT and can't be happier.  The E-M1 is a fantastic camera in almost all regards  (provided you change the default settings and get over Oly's retarded auto ISO implementation).

I AM in the market for an E-M1 :-). Fortunately it has not arrived here yet.
Quote:BC, correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC OVF focusing screens don't actually give you actual DOF ?
To a degree... the standard focus screens are said to be effective down to f/2.8, and are optimised for image brightness. You have to change focus screen to "see" faster than that, but it will be dimmer with slower lenses.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I would but I don't actually own either; however I 'played' with them briefly at a trade show; sadly sony didn't feel like bringing the a7 or a7r to the show (only dslr  and nex 7/6; maybe they don't think a7 has a future Smile )

Quote:Send me a XE-2 and a E-M to compare.  Wink
I thought you had an e-m5; the two are really quite similar; the m1 is a bit better i guess but it is very incremental. The 12-40 looks interesting but i think I read at least one report of a centering issue.

Quote:I AM in the market for an E-M1 :-). Fortunately it has not arrived here yet.
Quote:BC, correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC OVF focusing screens don't actually give you actual DOF ?
Like pop explained, it depends on which focussing screen one uses. My Eg-S focussing screen gives a quite accurate feel for the DOF with the aperture closed with the DOF preview button, and wide open. Although the difference between f1.2 and f1.4 is not really noticeable.
Quote:VERY boxy ... Gold-pressed Latinum ...

Klaus, you've certainly watched too much DS9 in your spare time ...

besides that, while the camera is awesome on paper, it really looks

a bit odd to me too. (I have not yet had it in my own hands so far).

I will have to visit the local photoshops after christmas (right now,

the queues are simply to long, and the guys working there aren't

really in the mood for a chat with someone who isn't buying the

thing straight away).

Rainer