Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading from 5D, 6D or D700?
Hi,

I have an old Canon 5D, which I have generally liked apart from a couple of things. The biggest issue is AF system, it isn't very reliable in low light or when taking pictures of moving subjects. Also, higher ISO than 3200 could be nice in some situations, and possibly higher burst rate. However, I haven't really needed larger resolution, and I'm not really interested in videos.

I'm considering to upgrade, but I'd prefer to not spend too much money on it, so 5D mark III is out of question and 5D mark II has same AF system as 5D. That's why I'm considering either 6D or Nikon D700. D700 would be cheaper, but it's already quite old and I'd have to get new lenses. Although getting new lenses wouldn't be that big of an issue as I have bought my current lenses as used and have kept them in good shape, so I guess I'd get my money back from them if I sell them.

So, just asking your opinions about this..

Depends on how much Canon lenses you have and how high their quality is. If you consider Nikon, have a look to D610. But I think, if you like the whole system and are used to the menus and functions and your lenses, you are better off with a 6D. 3200 ISO is doable with a D610, too, but the burst rate, especially the buffer capacity is not pro-grade. And D700s used? Risky. How much 10.000s of shutter actions will they have?

If you're in high ISO, NIkon made a Df which is a bastard between D4 and D600/D610, great sensor, less great AF and fancy wheels which in my (Nikon users) eyes are a bit waste of material - "pure photography" to me means less buttons, aperture ring and focus aid on screen (in the finder, not in slow LV). I'm just wondering how many photographers would buy such a weird thing. I mean, what good are high ISO if the AF needs more light to focus than the sensor to make the picture?

I have three Canon lenses: 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4 L (without IS) and Tamron 28-72mm f/2.8. But how big of an risk buying a used body actually is? I mean, you can ask the seller about shutter count as it's easy to check it out from EXIF.

Anyways, I guess being used to menus and functions is a good point.. Maybe I should go to a shop and try the 6D or some Nikon to see how they feel.

I knew I forgot something  Rolleyes

Of course, none of them are real bad cameras so it's best to see what feels best.