Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon 6d/ 24 - 70 f/4 IS or Nikon D600?
Just registered now but have actually followed the site (lens review) for a year or two (a big help for a starting hobbyist). : ) Hi!

Anyhow just wondering if someone here can help me make a decision?

So here's my dilemma:

Should i buy a used canon 6d (4000 act) with 24 -70 f/4 IS for $2400 or a used D600 for $1400 and pocket the remaining cash? I'm leaning towards the canon but that would mean I have to rid a few equipment; Sigma 35 1.4 and Sb - 600. I do a lot of street/ family shots and I really like the result I'm getting from the sigma but I hear the 24 - 70 f/4 IS is no slouch on that department as well and that macro feature is a bonus, I've done macro before when I use to shoot canon. What to do? What to do?

A little history:

I have been shooting with Nikon D600 for a year now (very familiar with it) but prior to that i have owned a canon T3i, 60d, and 5d MK II (Also am familiar with canon ergonomics albeit a little rusty) I've enjoyed using FF cameras as a tool for my type of photography unfortunately my current camera (D600) have that dust/oil issue and I've manage to get a refund ($2400) for my purchase of it. The only equipment I have is the Nikon mount Sigma 35 1.4 (A) and the Nikon Sb - 600.

Thanks.
The Sigma is very sellable, so that should not be a problem. Only you can decide which camera suits you best. The Canon 6D has a very silent shutter, something that I have gotten to value these past  weeks with it on the streets.

If you like the Canon ergonomics, I see nothing against the 6D. If you do not use the Sigma with bigger apertures, the Canon 24-70mm f4 L IS USM can of course take its role. It is a very good lens. 

The main plus point for the D610 is its 100% view finder, the main plus points for the 6D are its WiFi (for use with iOS/Android devices as remote live view screens), the better live view implementation, the software bundle and ergonomics.

Both are fine cameras, only you can make the choice.

Quote:
Sorry! I meant a used D600 for $1400.

I have used the 6d before and as much as I enjoyed it in the hands/ ergonomic-ly, I preferred my D600 at that time since as I already owned and are quite familiar at its working. The only difference at this time is the situation I'm in, in the way of receiving a refund of it and the opportunity of owning a Canon 6d and Canon 24 - 70 f/4 L IS combo for the price of a new D610 . Without the opportune availability of said so item I'd buy my friend's shutter replace D600 for $1400 and pocket the remaining cash. I really don't plan on owning anymore lenses and am also considering of selling the sigma and flash if I go on the Canon route and pocket that cash.

I've shot my D600 in different situation; from prof. pre - wedding photo shoot to wedding ceremony/ reception, family portraits/ events, birthday party, personal family vacation and I can about tell that the only thing I'm probably going to miss is its 100% viewfinder and dual SD card, if when I do decide to go to that 6d route. Dynamic range, faster fps and + af # points all dough nice to have really didn't come across to matter much in the type of photography I shoot. I've done some landscape shots in Whistler, Banff, Drumheller and Jasper some from 6d and my own D600 both pretty much equal to end/ final result after PP I invisioned, thought you could definitely push the D600 file more.

As for the 6d the wifi is nice, I can see some usefulness in it for my style of photography but can also do without it.

As for the lens, I do shoot wide on the sigma and its very good as an all around lens albeit I'm thinking is not as versatile as 24-70 range + that macro I can find some usefulness of it.

The real question really is should I buy a very good combo deal (canon 6d/ 24-70 f4 IS) feels comfortable to hands but losing a few points of dr, fps and af which doesn't really matter to my type of photography and sell my sigma 35 1.4 and sb 600 ($950) or buy used replace shutter nikon d600 with still some dust/oil issue (something I'm very familiar with also good in the hands but not as good as 6d) and pocket ($1000)?

I still don't know. Lol

Thanks for the reply dough.
Sigma is offering a service to change the mount. This could be the way to go, because it's an excellent lens and better than any 24-70 in my eyes, even if I'd have to crop some shots. At least the Nikkor 24-70 is not that good at the long end, so I dare say for my way to take pics and also get a bit closer to the subject by foot instead by zoomring the Sigma is due to it's speed superior.

Okay, there's a lot wide angle not covered by the Sigma and it's not always possible to stitch two shots. Your decision. I wouldn't buy a used D600, this can be a surprise package. And that wasn't meant pleasant. Also, I can't say anything about the Canon, never shot with it, but the D600 has a limited AF. If you always focus close to the center of the picture, no problem. But the more you like to come to the border of the frame, the more you'd miss more AF points.
Quote:  Also, I can't say anything about the Canon, never shot with it, but the D600 has a limited AF. If you always focus close to the center of the picture, no problem. But the more you like to come to the border of the frame, the more you'd miss more AF points.
That is similar with the 6D. FF cameras always have a limited coverage of the frame, where AF points are concerned.
Quote:...

A little history:

I have been shooting with Nikon D600 for a year now (very familiar with it) but prior to that i have owned a canon T3i, 60d, and 5d MK II (Also am familiar with canon ergonomics albeit a little rusty) I've enjoyed using FF cameras as a tool for my type of photography unfortunately my current camera (D600) have that dust/oil issue and I've manage to get a refund ($2400) for my purchase of it. The only equipment I have is the Nikon mount Sigma 35 1.4 (A) and the Nikon Sb - 600.
After reading that again and assuming you would not like to upgrade to D800 - which is a mind blowing beast with the Sigma - I'd recommend you the EOS. No, that' s not right, I don't know it, so I can' truly commend it. Better try: I would not recommend you a 2nd hand D600. If you like to stay in the Nikon world, I'd say D610 for less oil. Canon lenses, at least the great new ones, are a bit more expensive than the Nikon versions. I'm looking more to Sigma's portfolio. For instance, I would buy more likely the new Sigma 24-105/4 than the Nikon 24-70/2.8 or 24-120/4. I'd prefer the Sigma as well, if I would switch to Canon, but this is only a personal preference of the look and rendering of the Sigma lenses. Also, I'm envy on the WLAN capacity of Canon but not enough to switch. As a CamRanger does what I need, I can work around this Nikon gap.
I really don't mind a used D600 as I mostly shoot wide to mid and the used prices in the market right now is between $1250 - $1450 for this low I don't mind cleaning my own sensor and without a doubt IQ/ H Iso/ DR is astounding on this camera but just could not resist the deal I was given with the Canon 6d and 24 - 70 f/4 IS combo @ price lower to a new Nikon D610 + tax, I can own the Canon/ lens combo, so I pulled the trigger and bought the combo.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Really appreciate it.
Update:

It turns out the Canon 6d was a lemon so i ended up returning it and purchase a refurbished Nikon D600 and Nikon 24 - 70 2.8g for $2300..

Long story short - Extreme low light awesome:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74584769@N03/11471295964/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74584769@N03/11471415433/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74584769@N03/11471289594/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74584769@N03/11471256435/
Quote:Update:

It turns out the Canon 6d was a lemon so i ended up returning it and purchase a refurbished Nikon D600 and Nikon 24 - 70 2.8g for $2300..
Bad luck with that 6D. Glad you are enjoying your "new" D600.

Quote:Long story short - Extreme low light awesome:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74584769@N03/11471295964/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74584769@N03/11471415433/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74584769@N03/11471289594/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74584769@N03/11471256435/
Not so extreme low light, but it looks fine.
Yeah I really like that canon 24-70 f4 IS, very good optic and the versatility; macro was a very big plus but the body shutter button wouldn't respond, it need a bit more force to activate.

I'd call ISO 8063 - 12800 quite extreme, could have PP the noise but I like the filmy look. And that's a MJ tribute concert which is quite fast moving, I forgut that one thing I really like with the nikon d600 was it's focusing.