Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seems as if Sony will no longer use the NEX brand name
Quote:You really have a strong believe in Sony. ;-) I think they will go the Olympus way. It is a economic decision.

A few hours ago you said The rumors says that there will be a new A-Mount camera in spring

The latest rumors was this:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-says...otography/

You never even bothered to comment
Quote:A few hours ago you said The rumors says that there will be a new A-Mount camera in spring

The latest rumors was this:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-says...otography/

You never even bothered to comment

There was a rumor about a new NEX 7 too. And the A7 should have been the NEX 7 shape. It is a rumour site.
IMHO changing the name of Sony mirror-less from NEX to A7, A7R, A7BS is mistake... Now when you hear NEX you know it relates to Sony NEX... every one is used to it. It could've been NEX-F, or something else that contain the "NEX". I wonder wheter Sony pays royalty to Tamron, to utilize confusing naming conventions... Big Grin

If you think only about the mounts, I think it is still sufficiently clear. We have A, E, and FE. If it is called NEX or not is rather unimportant.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:If you think only about the mounts, I think it is still sufficiently clear. We have A, E, and FE. If it is called NEX or not is rather unimportant.
Not even that. There are just two mounts: A and E.

For lenses there are two image circle sizes: A/FE and A DT/E. Think EF and EF-S, with just one mount: EOS.

So now you have E and A mount. With A cameras which only can take A-mount lenses, and A cameras which can take A and E and FE lenses. Then you have A mount cameras which also take A mount DT lenses. And you have E mount cameras which can use E and FE lenses. And with adapter, also A lenses and A DT lenses. You have E mount cameras called A, which can realistically only use FE lenses, and with adapter A lenses. 

Not all that clear, for the average consumer... More like a big mess.

Quote:Not even that. There are just two mounts: A and E.

For lenses there are two image circle sizes: A/FE and A DT/E. Think EF and EF-S, with just one mount: EOS.

That is not exactly true. You cannot mount EF-S lenses on a full-frame EOS camera without modifications and risking damage of the mirror. Thus you should definitely consider EF and EF-S as different mounts.

There were rumors -- and I am not sure if these are confirmed now -- that you will not be able to mount Sony FE lenses onto the E-mount of APS-C (NEX) cameras. This would be the opposite of the EF/EF-S restriction.
Quote:That is not exactly true. You cannot mount EF-S lenses on a full-frame EOS camera without modifications and risking damage of the mirror. Thus you should definitely consider EF and EF-S as different mounts.
Well, it kinda is true. Putting APS-C image circle lenses on FF does not make much sense, and the mount is the same with the same connections and the same flange distance and so on. 

Quote:There were rumors -- and I am not sure if these are confirmed now -- that you will not be able to mount Sony FE lenses onto the E-mount of APS-C (NEX) cameras. This would be the opposite of the EF/EF-S restriction.
That would be a bit odd, I can't think of a valid reason to do that... You never know with Sony, I guess?
Quote:There were rumors -- and I am not sure if these are confirmed now -- that you will not be able to mount Sony FE lenses onto the E-mount of APS-C (NEX) cameras. This would be the opposite of the EF/EF-S restriction.

This is absolutely false. You can use all E-mount lenses on any E-mount cameras. Using APSC lenses on FF is also possible, as the camera will detect the lens and go into crop mode. 

There is no problem with using FE lenses on APSC cameras. 

Quote:Not that clear, for the average consumer... More like a big mess.

There is no "big" mess. One is Alpha A-mount, and another is Alpha E Mount (which is mirrorless). All E-mount lenses work with E-mount cameras, even the APSC lenses on FF cameras (camera goes into auto crop mode). And all A-mount lenses work with all A-mount cameras. 

To take full advantage of FF sensor,  the user should be using the FF lenses that cover the entire sensor. Anyone who spends $1500 on a camera would know that already. 

Nothing could be simpler than that. 
Well, having acronyms to reflect technical specs is not bad, but throwing in the trash brand, that they built from scratch and is quite successful is bad idea.