Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax lens roadmap 2017
And it's not about "blaming". These cooperations sometimes are very obvious (Leica/Panasonic, Zeiss/Sony/Cosina). Less obvious is the price difference, especially if an exisiting (and costly) OS was removed. Either way, replacement materials have to stand in and someone has to assemble small batches, which usually costs money as well.
(02-28-2018, 09:14 AM)davidmanze Wrote: As there have been associations with Pentax/Tokina, the fact that the two look similar is causing comparisons to be made between the two 50mm F1.4 lenses..... It is in no way surprising that on Pentax forums, questions have been raised.

So this has been coming from Pentaxians.....not Nikonites!

"With friends like this, who needs enemies?"

Before being called a Tokina - and in this case there is indeed a strong resemblance to the leaked image - the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 was called a Tamron and a Sigma Art. From time to time the D FA* 70-200 is called a Tamron rebadge. There's an obsession with calling Pentax lenses "rebadges", for no other reason than being disparaging about the brand. And no, it's not only coming from Pentaxians.

OTOH, please read carefully my post, especially this part: "The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is not a Tokina lens, but I can't reject the possibility they licensed the design to Tokina - just like they've done in the past. "
All but one of the DA lenses from the past collaboration with Tokina were Pentax designs. None was a rebadge.

(02-28-2018, 09:20 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: And it's not about "blaming".
A baseless supposition is used to make disparaging remarks. Find a better name for it...
Better name would be "triggering some Pentaxian's defense reflexes", but it's a bit long.

Big Grin

You already have the best Pentax money can buy, so just relax...
I'd not go that far (as intentionally and without provocation antagonizing people goes by another name, and Klaus isn't that kind of person). :p

Getting back to Pentax: Klaus, is there any chance of restarting Pentax reviews - after the new lenses will be on the market?
(02-28-2018, 11:44 AM)Kunzite Wrote: All but one of the DA lenses from the past collaboration with Tokina were Pentax designs. None was a rebadge.

All of these Pentax lenses are also Tokina lenses:
  • Pentax DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye
  • Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4
  • Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 SDM
  • Pentax DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 SDM
Among these, which ones are actual Pentax designs? (and not Tokina)
Somehow I'm doubtful they are Pentax'.

Keep in mind that they also all exist in other mounts (namely Canon and Nikon).
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Pentax developed the optics for DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 SDM and DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 SDM. The 12-24mm f/4 is a Tokina design. Can´t remember who designed the 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye.
The macro lenses 100/f2.8 and 35/f2.8 are Pentax designs but also rebadged by Tokina.
The 10-17mm was/is a Pentax. Pentax had an earlier FF fisheye zoom in the film era (1995), a 17-28mm. The 10-17mm was a direct descendant of that lens.
@thxbb12:
You already have the answer: my statement was correct, and your assumption wasn't. I don't get why, when the same design is shared between Pentax and Tokina, people would assume it's Tokina's... it's not like Tokina demonstrated a higher capability of launching new lenses.

This page is an attempt to associate Pentax-designed lenses with their designers:
http://douglasviewfinder.blogspot.ro/p/k...gners.html
I can say that many of the optical characteristics of Tokina, mainly monstrous chromatic aberrations of the 4 pixel wide variety, which is one of Tokina's traits, is to be found in the Pentax DA*16-50mm F2.8 SDM lens as well as the Tokina version.
Pentax's lenses as a rule control CAs nicely and they use their own lens coatings, therefore I conclude the lens to be a Tokina design, it has none of the signature of a Pentax designer and all the signs of Tokina's.

The DA*50-135mm F2.8 is Pentax's own and is a far better lens.

Pentax would do better with a co-operation with Tamron who's mechanical construction, USD motors, optics, VC and above all their coatings are right up to the minute........
..........only the last Tokina lenses have taken on board any of that......with their clunky push-pull AF ring......but most of all their very poor coatings causing all sorts of flare...........really in terms of full spec lenses.......Tokina are pretty far behind the pack.........I've also heard stories about lack of service...........

Dave's clichés
(02-28-2018, 09:38 PM)Kunzite Wrote: @thxbb12:
You already have the answer: my statement was correct, and your assumption wasn't. I don't get why, when the same design is shared between Pentax and Tokina, people would assume it's Tokina's... it's not like Tokina demonstrated a higher capability of launching new lenses.

This page is an attempt to associate Pentax-designed lenses with their designers:
http://douglasviewfinder.blogspot.ro/p/k...gners.html

The reason for the assumption is simple - the Tokina/Tamron lenses were usually (always?) released earlier than the Pentax variant.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji