Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low tripods
Just wondering if such a tripod exists as I'm about to describe.

I'm planning on going to a wildlife shoot (seals) on a beech. I will need to get low down to get to their level and am thinking of using a tripod to do so. I think I will need to get pretty low, perhaps as low as 30cm while remaining height adjustment possibility. It will still need to take some weight, say up to 4kg stably, but will settle for 2kg. As stable as sand will allow anyway. Place is somewhat remote so needs to be as light as possible. I might already be taking a 3kg lens but that is undecided until I go there. Obviously the tripod should be sand tolerant. I'm not sure a monopod would cut it.

One other possibility is I might bypass all that, just get waterproofs and just get down and dirty handholding. Still I'd like to consider the options.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Finally the sand fleas get the attention they deserve...  B)

Seriously, first I'd consider the camera bringing that close to the nasty sand. You're clear on that? Then, after a disappointing experience with some ski-plates on a Gitzo in snow, I'd get a large board and do some DIY with it to fix a rectangle tube as an arm and make it easy to clean. A lot of tripods can get as low as your desired 30cm but will have problems with sand grains and, worse, will not get a solid position.

Quote:Just wondering if such a tripod exists as I'm about to describe.

I'm planning on going to a wildlife shoot (seals) on a beech. I will need to get low down to get to their level and am thinking of using a tripod to do so. I think I will need to get pretty low, perhaps as low as 30cm while remaining height adjustment possibility. It will still need to take some weight, say up to 4kg stably, but will settle for 2kg. As stable as sand will allow anyway. Place is somewhat remote so needs to be as light as possible. I might already be taking a 3kg lens but that is undecided until I go there. Obviously the tripod should be sand tolerant. I'm not sure a monopod would cut it.

One other possibility is I might bypass all that, just get waterproofs and just get down and dirty handholding. Still I'd like to consider the options.
I have a Manfrotto 190 about 15 years old.  That gets pretty low, is light weight and sturdy.  You should look into their current offerings.  When I bought it, it wasn't terribly expensive either. 

How long a lens you need to support?
enjoy
Joachim, have you ever tried your Manfrotto on a sandy beach?

The 3kg lens I'm talking about is the Sigma 120-300, which if I took it may get used at up to 600mm. Otherwise, I'd travel light and only use the 100-400.

Sand is a minor concern. It should be heavy/wet enough where I'm going not to blow. I might finally give in and fit a rain cover onto the lenses just in case. I have enough bodies that I wont need to change lenses in the field on this occasion.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
 I have this one for travels, and it can go really low and stable. I have tried it few times at beaches, and if to keep legs not extended (for low shots), it was not so difficult to clean the sand. There are Gitzo Ocean tripods, but the price...

A.

Quote:The 3kg lens I'm talking about is the Sigma 120-300, which if I took it may get used at up to 600mm. Otherwise, I'd travel light and only use the 100-400.

Sand is a minor concern. It should be heavy/wet enough where I'm going not to blow. I might finally give in and fit a rain cover onto the lenses just in case. I have enough bodies that I wont need to change lenses in the field on this occasion.
You need something heavier than a Manfrotto 190 this case and a very solid head.  600 equiv lenses on an SLR are a challenge to get stable.  I would look into a Manfrotto 055 this case, which is all I would be prepared to carry.  But then I am not an experienced tele shooter.  I bought the 190 for my Mamiya C330f and with the low shock medium format TLR it works very well.  It made a huge difference in sharpness to what I was using before. 
enjoy
Quote:Joachim, have you ever tried your Manfrotto on a sandy beach?

Sure and didn't get any issues.
enjoy
Tripods that go / are low do exist, usually referred to as table top tripods. 

Take a look at for instance a Gitzo G0012, which  is adjustable from 22cm min height to 46mm max. height (without ball head) and is rated for upto 2.5 kg, or a Leica Kleinstativ mit Kugelgelenkkopf with a fixed height of 25cm with ball head (or 14cm without), but with a vert impressive 9kg max, load.

[Image: Gitzo_227453.jpg]

http://de.leica-camera.com/photography/m...s/166.html

You might take a look at the Really Right Stuff [RRS] TP243. Aluminum, "table top", what they call a ground level tripod. Very strong. As is, about 12" high, but you can extend legs to about 20". Comes with spikes and rubber feet on leg extensions, which are reversible. Add your favorite ball head. I have it and it is dead solid!

Good luck. 

Zen Smile