Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fujifilm lens roadmap 2017/2018
[Image: pic_01.jpg]

Can you explain what is special about the 18-55. I realize that it is aimed at video but is it likely to be much different optically than the current 18-55 ?

Quote:Can you explain what is special about the 18-55. I realize that it is aimed at video but is it likely to be much different optically than the current 18-55 ?
The image shows just how big it is, the 18-55mm f2.8-4 is tiny in comparison. And of course a T2.9 lens is very different from an f2.8-4 lens... The T2.9 lens weighs just under 1 kilo.
And it has all the features for pro video work. Which add bulk and cost like there's no tomorrow.
It's comparatively cheap affordable against other cine lenses with parfocal design.

And it was, at least not at first, not available with Fuji X mount but wit cine mounts.

Don't know if I should start a new topic: Along with the new lenses Fujifilm has announced a new type of RAW-converter, using the camera's processor instead of the PC's. Details from DPREVIEW: https://www.dpreview.com/news/1600919737...raw-studio

At first I thought "no camera processor can be faster than a multicore processor of a state of the art PC or Mac." Might be true, but with that X-RAW-Studio waiting for updates of "mx RAW-converters" would be over without the fuss of dealing with RAW and JPGs the frist time before the update is out. AND: one could use a netbook for batch conversion. I just wonder if USB-3 and SD-cards will be fast enough?

My cameras save JPEG in an instant, so fast that it can happen several times per second. So that is a pretty fast RAW conversion. My computers are not the fastest around in any sense... but I can't imagine "normal" multicore PCs getting anywhere near that speed of the specialized imaging processors in cameras?

In Fuji's cameras it's possible to get 14 JPGs/second until the buffer is full. That's much faster than my Mac could deliver. I also think, if the camera is set to JPG only, a lot of buffers would never get full. I imagine more times is needed to write the data than to compute it.

But I'm a bit concerned about the thermal load, if one converts a couple of hundred pictures. As well as the connection between body and PC/Mac: The new X-E3 ony  has USB 2.0 - no 3.0 or 3.1, I doubt if these slow communications at the ened of the day will convert 500 RAWs faster than my Mac could? Most of the other Fujis only support UHS-I SD cards which means to me "no fast data lane available".

But anyway, it's still a cool thing for people travelling only with a netbook or use slower PCs. And speaking about Mac: This time the Mac version is the first to come (unlike the tethered shooting via Lightroom softwtae, which is only available for PC)

In a sidenote of the next X-T2 firmware features they also mention "Supports backup and restore of camera settings from one camera to another via FUJIFILM X Acquire". Finally, I'd say.  <_< To be fair, Fuji still takes Kaizen serious. I'm curious how much the AF-C will benefit of the next Kaizen firmware.
The 200mm F2 sounds impressive.

I wish Sigma would make an 200mm F2 art lens. Should cost similar or less than their 120-300mm due to similar max element size. This would make it less than half of the cost of the Canon/Nikon lenses.

Have you ever tried to handhold and manual focus or only change the FL of the 120-300? I'm just guessing the answer will be "no"  Big Grin

And while manual focusing is comparatively easy with an Art-lens (as well as the types of other manufacturers), the Fuji focus by wire system is in my eyes a clear disadvantage for long glass. Without any kind of tripod it's close to impossible to frame and focus.