Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony to release sensor shift AF E-mount camera
Quote:I'm inclined that state again that Alpha (A-mount) is dead ...

+1

Quote:Sony seems to be on their way into combining the two mount where both A mount and E-mount lenses will work flawlessly on one camera with fast AF. 

That may very well be true, but it would still mean that A-mount is dead. It may live on for a while, as Sony's full format "Pro"-system, but ultimately it's going down the FT route... 

Quote:That may very well be true, but it would still mean that A-mount is dead. It may live on for a while, as Sony's full format "Pro"-system, but ultimately it's going down the FT route... 

Sony doesn't think the A-mount is dead as they have been releasing A-mount lenses, The latest rumor is revised 70-200 and a new 120mm F2.8, both A mount to be released this year. They also released 50mm Zeiss for A mount this year.  

Also the new lenses are SSM. That  would mean the sensor shift AF (at least with A mount) will just play some part in the new A mount AF system, and the lens will play the other part. 

I am predicting combing the two AF system is Sony's solution to achieving fast AF with the A mount lenses without the SLT mirror.

That also explains IBIS in A7000 as the A mount lenses don't have IS 

I also missed the third rumor. A new 85mm F1.4 is being released  and that's A-mount too. 

Weird how A mount is supposedly "dead" but yet 4 new A mount lenses are coming this year 

50mm Zeiss (already on  sale)

a new 85mm F1.4 (probably SSM)

120mm F2.8

and revised 70-200mm
Those lenses have been in the pipeline for quite a while. That still doesn't say anything about the future of the A-mount, which I personally agree has most likely reached the end of its life. Sony may use it for another while in the FF alpha cameras, but only until the FF E-mount lens portfolio is large enough to justify the switch in this segment, too.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Those lenses have been in the pipeline for quite a while. 

Last week was the first time we heard about new 85mm F1.4 and 120mm F2.8.  You must have really insight info into pipelines.  And even if they were in pipeline, Sony can kill them without producing them on a large scale. 

Funny I heard this "pipeline" thing before from guess who? Thom Hogan.  A few years ago Thom Hogan was repeatedly  claiming that Sony's FF is dead,  and that they even plan to kill FF sensor production (not just cameras), Whenever a new FF lens was released, like 24mm F2.0,  Hogan  (and his fans) would say, "oh that was already in the pipeline" 

I guess this is the same "pipeline" again?

Not only Sony did not stop producing FF sensors, but Nikon D800 itself is using a Sony's sensor -- 3 years after Thom Hogans dire warning. 

Designing a lens, testing the prototypes and setting up the final manufacturing takes surely longer than a year and I reckon that the camera and lens department are somewhat decoupled. As such there is ALWAYS a lens pipeline.

I guess Sony would be wise to publish some kind of roadmap where they explain their future product lineup. Otherwise, it's just too confusing for amateurs and too uncertain for enthusiasts/professionals. Right now, it seems as if they are going to have 2 mounts, but 5 different categories of cameras:

- NEX (APS-C)

- NEX (FF)

- ILCE (with and without sensor-shift)

- Alpha (APS-C)

- Alpha (FF)

Killing off the APS-C Alpha and replacing it with the ILCE would simplify the situation a little (horrible branding though). 

The only thing that could save the A-mount is a dirt-cheap FF camera. Sony has already the technology, since removing the pentaprism and the fast-moving mirror should reduce the overall cost of the camera. The A99 should have been able to easily undercut the Canikon's 6s, but they decided to keep a price hierarchy for their cameras that made sense against the 5D and the D800.

Now, the new A-3000 seems to indicate a change of direction in their pricing. I can imagine Sony releasing a similar FF camera for $1k, even be profitable at that price, and profit heavily from lens sales.

Oh, I don't believe they will, but with mirrorless technology, they certainly could.
Quote:I guess this is the same "pipeline" again?
As Klaus already said, lenses are not designed, tested, released as a product and brought to market within a week. So if Sony anounces anything within the next weeks or months, then hell yes it has been in the pipeline for quite a while. Likely 2 years or more.

Apart from that: if you were able to take off that Sony fanboy cap for a while and tried to look at the facts as objectively as possible, you'd have to agree that the death of A-mount looks more likely than its survival (regardless of what you'd prefer to happen).

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Oh, I don't believe they will, but with mirrorless technology, they certainly could.
They could, for sure, but if they want to establish a FF NEX system, which will most likely not be cheap, a more affordable "SLR-like" camera below that system doesn't make much sense from a marketing perspective. A high-end SLR body above NEX FF would, though.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com