Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
manual focus lenses on Nikon and Canon cameras
Quote:The focus indicator in Nikon cameras actually goes a bit beyond the one in Canon cameras, since it not only signals when the subject is in focus, but also in which direction to turn the lens as long as it's not in focus (that's what the two arrows are for).
Funny enough I can see which direction to focus Wink

Now if only all lenses had the same direction to turn the focus ring in...
Quote:ThomasD, on 22 Aug 2013 - 14:25, said:

Thanks everybody for your very helpful replies. I did not know that Nikon bodies have a focus indicator also for manual-focus lenses just like the Canon bodies. The Canon-manufactured focusing screens were also unknown to me.

I have an AI-S Nikkor 50/1.2, an AI Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 and an SL-II (which is equivalent to AI-P) Voigtländer 20/3.5.
Very nice lenses!

The 50mm f1.2 is probably the best 50mm Nikon has made, and I want one. How many aperture blades does yours have? The 55mm f3.5 micro still is a great macro lens. I have the earlier version which is sharper at close focus and has a bit nicer bokeh, but does not get sharp at all at infinity. Yours does perform better at infinity. And that Voigtlander just is a nice little gem of a lens, when stopped down.

The most logical choice would be a full-frame body, otherwise the 20/3.5 is a bit wasted.

The full story is that I just got rid of my whole m43 kit, because I enjoyed shooting with a film-based little SLR much more than looking at the rear screen of a digital camera. And now I feel the urge for a digital body that allows similar operation (that is, mainly having a good OVF and being relatively light-weight). Later on, I might add one or two auto-focus prime lenses.

That said, the Nikon D600 looks like a good match, but the Canon 6D does not look bad either, being 100 grams lighter and offering first-party replacement focusing screens.
The plus for the D600 is that with Ai lenses you do not close the aperture when you select a different aperture. So you don't have to do the two stage workflow you have to do with the Canon (first focus, then close down the aperture).

So for that, the D600 is the better choice.

Thanks again for all of your replies,

Thomas.
Since we are on manual focus topic: Did any of you use Leica R on Nikon F mount? 50mm Simicron and 35mm and 90mm are sold on e-bay between $500-$700. Is the hassle of using adapters worth it?

Quote:The -S series screens. They are awesome, something I really miss since I switched to Nikon.

-- Markus

Here:

http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=22_130

http://www.focusingscreen.com/privacy.php

I've bought several focusing screens from them.  Used Canon Ec-B "Precision Matte" on a Pentax K-x, it was great for manual focus lenses, even on the smaller viewfinder. Looks like they have Canon S screens for Nikon.
Quote:Since we are on manual focus topic: Did any of you use Leica R on Nikon F mount? 50mm Simicron and 35mm and 90mm are sold on e-bay between $500-$700. Is the hassle of using adapters worth it?
No, not at all.

The Leica R flange distance is 47mm, the Nikon F-mount flange distance is 46.5mm. There is not enough room to make an adapter which keeps infinity focus possible.

There are adapters with optics, which do allow/restore infinity focus, but the optics are crap and the adapter will work like a small TC.

The way to do it is to actually modify the lens to F-mount, but I am not sure that is a hastle you want to go through.

Best way to use unmodified R-mount lenses is to get yourself an extra canon DSLR body, because the EOS mount does allow for simple R-mount adapters to be used without such downsides. But an extra DSLR body of course will push up the price of those lenses again...
Quote:Looks like they have Canon S screens for Nikon.
Interesting! Unfortunately the Canon screens are npt available for the D3 series, only the D800. But who knows what the next FX test camera will be, I'll certainly keep this in mind...

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

I also have no experience with Leica glass on a DSLR. Only on the M9 and with that experience in mind, I don't think I would spend extra money on Leica R glass... at least not for rather "normal" lenses like a Summicron 50.
Quote:The way to do it is to actually modify the lens to F-mount, but I am not sure that is a hastle you want to go through.
Yes, google for "Leitax" if you're really interested. However, as BC already mentions, a Canon body with adapter is definitely a lot less work.

If you prefer to use a Nikon body, it's a lot easier (and not necessarily more expensive) to search for used Zeiss ZF or ZF.2 lenses instead.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Got it. It is not worth to dive in to this experiment. Thank you all for sharing.

Quote:The 50mm f1.2 is probably the best 50mm Nikon has made, and I want one. How many aperture blades does yours have?

9, although its serial number indicates that it must be an early copy of this version. I guess the older version with 7 blades would be very hard to find nowadays. And the optics do not seem to differ between the two versions.

I find it remarkable that this lens is still sold new (among other MF Nikkor lenses). Maybe there will be an FM4a someday... :-)
Quote:As I heard, there are adaptors for Nikon lenses on Canon, so you're literally free to choose since you don't loose any AF functions. I'm Nikon owner but like to peek often the fence. I know one can't have it all and I don't give up all the nice glass for some features I'm interested in. But if Canon and Nikon stay on their current lanes I've to say these days I would look very closely to Canon.

Could please elaborate a bit more on this? I read the other thread that you referred to, but could not find really strong points that would explain this bias towards Canon. Or am I misunderstanding you?