Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2
Cool!  

These are all Voigtlaender lenses?  I'm looking forward to this one for some reason: 50/3.5 Nickel

Any Leica lenses in queue too?

Quote:Yep, quite a resource, isn't it? Smile

I will not be able to test all of them, of course. Many are already discontinued, some difficult to get. And some of them are no fun on a digital M (like the very compact wide-angles).

FWIW, here's what's currently in my queue:

35/1.2 (first version, not the current one)

35/1.4 MC

50/1.5 Aspherical (discontinued version, not the new one)

50/2 Nickel

50/3.5 Nickel

75/1.8

75/2.5

90/3.5 APO

And these are on my wish list:

28/2

35/1.2 II

50/1.1 Nokton

50/1.5 Nokton (the new one)

-- Markus
Wouldn't this be interesting to test:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo...inder.html

Quote:These are all Voigtlaender lenses?
Yes.
Quote:I'm looking forward to this one for some reason: 50/3.5 Nickel
It's a nice little lens, which I love to use occasionally. I can't really tell you why, though, because it's sharp, but otherwise not stellar (a bit harsh bokeh, for example), rather on the slow side (f/3.5), focuses down to 1 m only and is a bit fiddly to operate. It's a collapsible lens, and the worst you can do is to not fully extend and lock it. Since the rangefinder coupling happens at the mount of the lens (which does not move with the rest of the lens) one doesn't notice this mishap in the viewfinder. The images are completely blurred, though.

Apart from that: a fun lens Smile
Quote:Any Leica lenses in queue too?
All brands I mentioned earlier in this thread are in the queue.

Next reviews scheduled: Leica Summicron 35/2 ASPH, Leica Noctilux 50/0.95 ASPH, SLR Magic 50/0.95

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Wouldn't this be interesting to test:
Well, yes and no. Looks interesting, but with 43mm it might be a little arkward to use on the M9 (or any other Leica M). Remember that you do the composition with the help of (fixed) frame lines in the viewfinder. There are frame lines for 35 and 50mm, so the lens sits somewhere inbetween. But I guess it just needs some practice to get used to this... in the end, it's just a little more "guessing" than you'd have to do anyway, the rangefinder framelines are not overly precise, at least with medium and long focal lengths.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

For kicks it would be interesting to see how the om 50f2 compares to these lenses (i mentioned it previously on the other page and I know it is long discontinued so not much interest to the rest of the community).

Well, as we state as often as possible: comparing lenses across different test systems is not valid. At least as long as we are talking about pure MTF numbers. You may still roughly (!) compare lenses by the rating of our MTF skale (poor-excellent), but one should be absolutely aware that there is way more than one factor (the lens) that influences the MTF results (AA-Filter, sensor design, demosaic and sharpening of the raw converter, etc). In addition, there are some design differences that make some properties easier or harder to achieve (like low vignetting on the M9... or good borders on the NEX7 Wink ).

So, since the OM does not fit on the M9, it will be difficult to compare directly. However, if someone is willing to provide the lens plus adapter for F-mount (or a Leitax modified one)... sure, why not Smile

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Yep, quite a resource, isn't it? Smile

I will not be able to test all of them, of course. Many are already discontinued, some difficult to get. And some of them are no fun on a digital M (like the very compact wide-angles).

FWIW, here's what's currently in my queue:

35/1.2 (first version, not the current one)

35/1.4 MC

50/1.5 Aspherical (discontinued version, not the new one)

50/2 Nickel

50/3.5 Nickel

75/1.8

75/2.5

90/3.5 APO

And these are on my wish list:

28/2

35/1.2 II

50/1.1 Nokton

50/1.5 Nokton (the new one)

-- Markus
Whoa, quite a list there! Much more than I was thinking of. Have to admit, I have zero practical interest in this kind of lenses, but it's a lot of fun to read about them.
No interest in the Voigtländer 2,5/35? It seems more relevant than the 1,2/35 version 1. At least to me.
A CV 35/2,5 entered that list shortly after I posted it here Wink

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com