Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS
No comment

http://www.opticallimits.com/sony_nex/84...50f3556oss

Thanks for the review, Klaus.

Ugh, that one must rank among the top-3 worse lenses ever tested at PZ!

Making lenses very small is certainly a matter of compromise, but I think this time around they went too far.

I think Samsung took the right approach by being reasonable in the range while still providing a compact lens.

Do you have any ETA regarding the review of the Oly 12-50? It will be interesting to see how well (or bad) it performs given the underwhelming impression from most forum users. 

Thanks!

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Having read the second page, I was expecting 0.5 star rating, or something.

Quote:Thanks for the review, Klaus.

Ugh, that one must rank among the top-3 worse lenses ever tested at PZ!

Making lenses very small is certainly a matter of compromise, but I think this time around they went too far.

I think Samsung took the right approach by being reasonable in the range while still providing a compact lens.

Do you have any ETA regarding the review of the Oly 12-50? It will be interesting to see how well (or bad) it performs given the underwhelming impression from most forum users. 

Thanks!

Uh, I thought the 12-50 review has been up for at least a month?

http://www.opticallimits.com/m43/827-olympus1250f3563ez

Quote:Having read the second page, I was expecting 0.5 star rating, or something.

Uh, I thought the 12-50 review has been up for at least a month?

http://www.opticallimits.com/m43/827-olympus1250f3563ez

You're right, somehow I had totally missed it!

--Florent

Flickr gallery
   While the graphs look really bad, IMO it would be fair to mention, that the output of this combination (NEX-7 + 16 - 50mm PZ) at it's worst (16mm) and f8, is still capable for excellent quality A4 size prints, and very good A3 (even auto-corrected). 

A.

Well, essentially the corners have a local resolution equivalent to 3.4 megapixels (auto-corrected one).

You may argue that this is good enough for A4 prints. 

However, is this really what you want from a system lens ?

In the verdict I mentioned that you should think of this as a 20-50mm lens. If you do so, it is actually a decent lens.

Well, my comment is just a remark that things have changed with these high-Mp sensors. If to take a large print as the final measure of system output quality, even with such a crappy lens (technically I do not argue about that) you get the results that are comparable or even better then they used to be on 8 - 10 Mp sensors with high quality lenses. I have a feeling that some users just look at the verdict and start to think that such lenses are next to useless, but it is not. 

Just for interest, do you have any statistics, what percent of users press link to the Imatest explanations?

A.

P.S> This remark is just about sharpness.

Quote:However, is this really what you want from a system lens ?
In (most) other systems you have lenses to fit various needs. Cheap+small is one such need, where performance is secondary. In that sense, I think this lens is ok and still offer a step up from compact cameras. Without doing a detailed comparison, the closest lens I can think of: the Panasonic PZ, doesn't look all that different.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Maybe Sony should produce a camera with a fixed zoom lens. Many people will probably never use a other lens. But this is maybe the RX 100.

I don't care so much about the corners but the borders are important.

Do you have seen any differences on the NEX 6? This lens is mostly bundled with the 16MP sensor cameras so it would be interesting how it fares there.

A lower resolution sensor is always more forgiving.