Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need suggestion for upgrading Camera
Panasonic - most Panasonic lenses have an in-lens stabilizer.

G5 vs G6 - I'm not 100% sure but I think the latter is somewhat sharper since Panasonic switched to a marginal low-pass sensor filter. (this filter is one of those things that vary even assuming the same underlying sensor)

E-PL5 - nice, yes. Has also the new thin AA filter I think.

EOS M - pointless at this stage.

A57 - the new A58 has a body weight of 492g - probably PLUS the battery. The kit lens weights 222g. So incl. battery something like 750g should be realistic. Please note that the manufacturers always specific the naked body weight.

A tiny DSLR is the new EOS Rebel SL1 / EOS 100D. The Pentax DSLRs are also very small.
Quote:G5 vs G6 - I'm not 100% sure but I think the latter is somewhat sharper since Panasonic switched to a marginal low-pass sensor filter.
Interesting, I havent seen resolution data for the G6 as yet.

Else, abhisheks77 needs to figure out whether a viewfinder is needed or not. Once that´s decided it becomes easier.

Well, there is a difference between the GX1 and GH3 - the latter is sharper.

Actually there are speculations out there that the GH3 & OM-D have no AA filter anymore. I wouldn't go that far based on what I can see here in the lab but it is certainly a weak one.

Is the EOS-M piontless ? I mean I've heard awful things about it but right now it is dirt cheap at b&h with the well received 22mm lens. At that price point would it compete with the ep-1 with panasonic 20mm ?

It will be good, if I can get viewfinder.

EOS-M, being old is cheaper or performance wise is lacking in comparison to other cameras ?

Quote:Is the EOS-M piontless ? I mean I've heard awful things about it but right now it is dirt cheap at b&h with the well received 22mm lens. At that price point would it compete with the ep-1 with panasonic 20mm ?

Well, there is the recent firmware update which improved AF a lot, see some videos on the net. There seems to have been very positive response to this in combination with the special price offer. And canon is coming out with a nice 11-22 UWA for it.

of course a new body is bound to come.

so, it depends if you want an APS-sized system, or a m43?
So, I am near to my decision now :-)

I am just back from a camera store and checked various cameras there (from the suggestions from you people :-) ). I have narrowed down my choices to following camera.

- Panasonic G5 with 14-42mm lens is 470$. G6 looks little better but 290$ expensive then this one.

- Sony NEX-3NL/B - 500$

- Olympus E-PL5 with 14-42mm lens is 500$

- Pentax Q series. They didn't had any of Q series camera, so didn't got chance to see that.

When I asked about EOS-M, store representative said that others choosen cameras are better then EOS-M in concern of support, looks and performance.

What do you suggest in these ?

Quote:Is the EOS-M piontless ? I mean I've heard awful things about it but right now it is dirt cheap at b&h with the well received 22mm lens. At that price point would it compete with the ep-1 with panasonic 20mm ?

Yes, sure and where is a tele zoom lens ? Till then it is a pointless system IMHO. I was quite surprised that they released an ultra-wide lens prior of a tele.

Quote:So, I am near to my decision now :-)

I am just back from a camera store and checked various cameras there (from the suggestions from you people :-) ). I have narrowed down my choices to following camera.

- Panasonic G5 with 14-42mm lens is 470$. G6 looks little better but 290$ expensive then this one.

- Sony NEX-3NL/B - 500$

- Olympus E-PL5 with 14-42mm lens is 500$

- Pentax Q series. They didn't had any of Q series camera, so didn't got chance to see that.

When I asked about EOS-M, store representative said that others choosen cameras are better then EOS-M in concern of support, looks and performance.

What do you suggest in these ?

Forget about the Q unless you just want a more flexible digicam. The sensor is tiny - much smaller than on the Nikon 1 series. That said, it is as small as it gets for a system camera. If you want to go that line, then I would strongly suggest to wait for the Q7 (bigger sensor than its predecessors). 
Ok, then I need to decide between G5 and E-PL5. Hope I am going in right direction