Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need suggestion for upgrading Camera
I am excluding Sony and Pentax as of now. Thinking between G5 and E-PL5. One practical thing I noticed is, E-PL5's lcd screen is more touch-sensitive than G5, but it is always open unlike G5. If I keep it in bag, I may have fear to get it scratched with something. G5's screen can be folded inside which is always safe. Is it a valid point practically ?

Quote:Ok, then I need to decide between G5 and E-PL5. Hope I am going in right direction
Given that you seem to prefer having a viewfinder...
I checked with store and they said, viewfinder can be fitted to E-PL5 as well. So that prefereance is there, but secondary.

Some other review was stating "The Sony sensor used in the Olympus is generally considered a little bit better than the Panasonic sensor, specially under low lights work. If you shoot jpegs you might prefer the Olympus a bit"

Not sure, what it means and how much this statement weights in decision making.

Quote:Yes, sure and where is a tele zoom lens ? Till then it is a pointless system IMHO. I was quite surprised that they released an ultra-wide lens prior of a tele.

I suspect that Canon was thinking that for tele, size/weight gains would be smaller, and since there are/were kit versions with the EF adapter, that people could go with a EF-S 55-250 IS with adapter.    The 11-22 does some to be an attractive lens, quite a bit smaller than the EF-S 10-22, although it seems to have the drawback that start-up is slower, since it needs to extend first. The EF-S 10-22 sits on my rebel a lot more than the 55-250.

Quote:So, I am near to my decision now :-)

I am just back from a camera store and checked various cameras there (from the suggestions from you people :-) ). I have narrowed down my choices to following camera.

- Panasonic G5 with 14-42mm lens is 470$. G6 looks little better but 290$ expensive then this one.

- Sony NEX-3NL/B - 500$

- Olympus E-PL5 with 14-42mm lens is 500$

- Pentax Q series. They didn't had any of Q series camera, so didn't got chance to see that.

When I asked about EOS-M, store representative said that others choosen cameras are better then EOS-M in concern of support, looks and performance.

What do you suggest in these ?
I suggest you to check NX300. Available at Bestbuy. I just checked, and liked it very much. One touch shot is a very nice feature. That's when you tap on the touchscreen, then it moves AF point to that location and shoots. Very fast operation. Focus peaking is also nice feature, which is available on NX300. CDAF + PDAF and more trhan 300 AF points.

BTW, Canon 11-22 will not be available in the US.
Quote:I suggest you to check NX300. Available at Bestbuy. I just checked, and liked it very much. One touch shot is a very nice feature. That's when you tap on the touchscreen, then it moves AF point to that location and shoots. Very fast operation. Focus peaking is also nice feature, which is available on NX300. CDAF + PDAF and more trhan 300 AF points.

BTW, Canon 11-22 will not be available in the US.
The 11-22 can be bought from Canada with delivery to US. And once new EOS-M bodies are coming, the 11-22 will probably also come along.  I think the US has seen other lenses released later as well, e.g. the 55-250 IS; I had it since the end of 2007, while it was released in the US in April 2008. And in the US they kept selling the 28-135 as kit lens on crop for a long time, when nowhere else it was sold anymore as kit. So, Canon US is behind the times for whatever reasons.... 
I think you're on the right path (my personal opinion, of course) with the G5 & E-PL5.

I have a real preference for the E-PL5 because of the olympus colour rendering (given you shoot jpeg, because Lightroom is doing a massacre on the OMD files, not sure they do so with the E-PL5). The sensor is exceptionnal, for once in M43 land, and that thing sure is fast.

You may fit a viewfinder too, which is quite good : the VF-2. The new VF-4 is apparently outstanding too (viewing size equivalent of a full frame viewfinder, sharp and full matrix refreshed instead of the sequential crap we've seen in some early panasonics) but you wouldn't benefit from the eye sensor, a minor annoyance imho.

You may be put off a little by its menu system, as many people say, but the learning is not impossible and any photographer has to learn its camera anyway. Really not an issue after a couple of weeks.

I'm partial to the system, though.

Quote:The 11-22 can be bought from Canada with delivery to US. And once new EOS-M bodies are coming, the 11-22 will probably also come along.  I think the US has seen other lenses released later as well, e.g. the 55-250 IS; I had it since the end of 2007, while it was released in the US in April 2008. And in the US they kept selling the 28-135 as kit lens on crop for a long time, when nowhere else it was sold anymore as kit. So, Canon US is behind the times for whatever reasons.... 
Look here:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/cano...-with.html
I got a very good deal from Samy for Panasonic G5 + 14-42mm + 45-140mm + 16gb sd card. Finally I am happy. Thanks to all for helping me in finalising my camera, specially Klaus.

Need last recommendation, being newbie and my first complicated camera, is there any book (or video) specifically for G5, which can help me to learn on this? As of now I am ok with auto, but would definitely like to play to get maximum of it.