Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Really dumb question on zoom macro lens use
So on a zoom lens that has macro capability, how exactly do you use the macro feature? Does it only operate and one extreme of the lens or is it "macro" through its entire zoom range?

I was thinking that you set it to it's shortest zoom range and actually move the camera in and out from the subject.

Thanks,

Rut

It depends on the specific lens. You need to know the settings that give you most magnification. This means focal length and minimum focus distance at that focal length. For longer focal length lenses I've used, it was on the long end of the zoom. Then you get as close as you need to for the magnification. On compact cameras, it tends to be nearer the wide angle side.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
....popo has the sensible answer....but here below is some nonsense from me, which actually makes sense if you know what i mean....

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;">....it so happens that i have a 'zoom lens that has macro abilities' (ahem) …. and with this lens you actually go to the long end, switch it into macro mode and then keep on going, it appears to have about another 10mm's range within its macro mode (according to the exif), and indeed you can go quite close to the subject and vary focus with those extra 10mm's + the focus ring or the camera's auto focus ….. but if you want it to focus where you want it to focus, with this lens best to do your macro at the maximum focal length, otherwise it might just focus somewhere else as takes it's fancy….i hope this helps :-)  

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;"> 

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;">i haven't actually shot with this lens so much and using it is certainly is an interesting test of keeping the brain alert to variable correct settings....

Quote:So on a zoom lens that has macro capability, how exactly do you use the macro feature? Does it only operate and one extreme of the lens or is it "macro" through its entire zoom range?

I was thinking that you set it to it's shortest zoom range and actually move the camera in and out from the subject.

Thanks,

Rut
as popo said, it varies with the lens. Many 'close-up' capable zoom lenses just have a rather close focusing distance. So, for example, a lens may have a minimal focus distance (from the sensor) of 30cm. If you zoom it to the maximal tele position, it gives you the highest magnification. This is how for example the Sigma 17-70 lens works, but then at max magnification, you are like a few mms from the front of the lens...

There are also lenses with a special macro setting. E.g. the old FD 70-210mm had that. You set it at 70mm, and turn it into a special macro position, which shifts internal elements. You can then go closer, but sort of in a wide-angle position.

There is also the recent Canon 24-70 f4.0 IS lens, which has a special macro position, again, you are very close to the front lens.

On many P&S cameras, the special macro engages at the wide-angle - but often it's automatic, so you don't really realize what's going on. On some P&S cameras, you have to test yourself at what focal length/ minimal focus distance you get the maximal magnification, i.e. while the closest focusing distance is at the wide-angle (the "1cm" from the front magnification advertised often), a higher magnification can be achieved by zooming in, even though the minimal distance is larger. So, on a Sony HX5, highest magnification is at about 2.6x (60mm FF equiv.)

Anyway, if you look further down, there are some lenses with close-up abilities listed in the pseudo-macro section:

http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Close-up+%26+Macro

It lists also different magnifications achieved at wide-angle for some lenses and P&S cameras.
Thanks for the info. The particular lens I was looking at is the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro. Any experience with this particular lens?

Quote:Thanks for the info. The particular lens I was looking at is the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro. Any experience with this particular lens?

The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM a prime, just a "normal", fine macro lens. If just focuses very close, i.e. down to 1:1 magnification (like most dedicated macro lenses), and it has a good working distance (see working distance <a class="bbc_url" href="http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Close-up+%26+Macro" title="External link">http://photonius.wik...lose-up & Macro</a>). The one extra thing it has is a focus limiter, see review here on photozone.